Dart Den

Full Version: Using reef aquarium rock in vivarium
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've recently been condensing some saltwater aquariums into a larger one to allow for a few more 75 gallon vivariums. I've got some extra rock left over from the aquariums and was considering working it into one of the frog displays. What are the dangers, if any, of doing so if I thoroughly wash and scrub the rock before using? Does it need to be bleached or treated in any other way?
Coral rock usually has sharp edges to it which could injure the frogs. As far as the other minerals in the rock, I'm not sure how it would effect the frogs.
Rock will retain some salt residue almost 'forever' I would think. I'm just not certain that it would be bad or dangerous to the frogs. Careful with the 'pumice' style rock or anything with really sharp areas, as frogs can get cut and abraded.
Phil, the salt contains calcium which could be beneficial to frogs right? Possible constant wet/moist conditions could leach out too much calcium. Hell, when you take down a salt tank, there's a lot of calcium deposits everywhere.

Plus the rock also retains phosphate. And the micro-organisms living in the rock, even when bleached can never really be removed from all the small crevices.
yeah...I don't believe the rock would be 'bad'. A good way to use it, may be to break it up into softball sized chunks and use in in the false bottom.