Dart Den

Full Version: 1st dead frog
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well I found my 1st casualty since getting into the hobby. I know it's going to happen from time to time. Luckily the kids are at school. Found it upside down with its legs up in the air. I'm guessing the springtails got ahold of the skin on its back? Worried about the others now, I should probably get some fecals done. I've had a total of 7 frogs (6 now) for 5 months so I don't think that's incredibly bad for just starting up.

[Image: 4DD230F6-0D8D-4D92-8F14-1AED1A8B312E-251...B370C5.jpg]
Would sending the carcass in anywhere accomplish anything?
Well I just got off the phone with the University of Minnesota. I put it in the fridge and am bringing it in for a necropsy tomorrow but since I don't know if the frog died this morning or 2 days ago the results might not be very accurate they said. I'm also bringing in a group fecal sample to get done to make sure the other 3 will be ok or maybe there's some preventative measures I can take. Also, it's sketchy to tell from the pic I posted but near the ends of its legs the color turns to more of a pale yellow/green color, it stands out more seeing it in person. I don't know if that's a sign of anything though.
I am astounded that any science facility would tell you to bring in a two day old corpse. No, it won't help due to all kinds of infections going on now and other issues.
My brother can runs reliable fecals for you . It's where I would start.
Who'd they come from?
You're right, the Dr. straight up told me if it was 2 days dead then it would do no good. I said 2 days because I didn't feed them yesterday and when I turned the fogger on I didn't look to make sure there was 4 living frogs. I just went into my sons room and turned it on then came back 5 min. later and shut it off and walked out. So it died sometime between 2 days ago and this morning, but I'm not sure of the exact time but I figure it's worth a try. They are a SNDF line I got from a guy down in Florida and have been looking good for the 5 months I've had them, up until today anyways. My guess as of right now is it was possibly being stressed out because it was looking a little thinner than the rest and isolating itself from the group a bit. Being fairly new, it's hard to notice warning signs I guess. Another area of the board I need to further explore. I'm going to bring it in just in case there's a small chance it died recently and something could be detected. I'm bringing them some fecals as well. I'll keep you posted with the results. If I went through your bro, what's the proper procedure for sending the fecals in? Just mail it in a ziplock bag?
If you google Milan Area Animal Hospital there'll be his preferred method on fecals. Sorry, do have the direct link off hand.
It's important to run at least three consecutive clean fecals to consider them 'healthy' from lack of parasites. So, maybe the second round could be sent to my brother.
Thanks for the referral, I'll shoot him an email and see what he recommends as far as time intervals between sampling, sample size, etc. I see a lot of cat and dog info but nothing about frogs or the fecal collecting process. I heard he was a rockin' vet from some other people. It says on his page he finished top 10% in Michigan. That's insane, I've been busting my ass for 12-14hrs a day in the "beginner level" of animal science and barely hold my own in the B range...he must be a freaking genius!
JayMillz Wrote:Thanks for the referral, I'll shoot him an email and see what he recommends as far as time intervals between sampling, sample size, etc. I see a lot of cat and dog info but nothing about frogs or the fecal collecting process. I heard he was a rockin' vet from some other people. It says on his page he finished top 10% in Michigan. That's insane, I've been busting my ass for 12-14hrs a day in the "beginner level" of animal science and barely hold my own in the B range...he must be a freaking genius!
MSU, it's the #1 vet school in the nation.
I heard that those frogs are pretty poisonous, do you think that they could have poisoned each other since they were in the same cage? Just a thought...
Gee Fag, you might be on to something! My goodness, that's a great idea!

Who are you? And get off here!
Being that these frogs would have to be CB to be legal, I doubt they're poisonous. The poison from these frogs comes from their diet in the wild...they can't produce it in captivity.
troll friend of mine I used to work with, good point though Ben, maybe one of them poisoned it, I never thought of that lol
Hey on a positive note, I just found our very first clutch of eggs ever. 2 eggs in the tarapoto viv Big Grin
Congrats!