Dart Den

Full Version: Fruit Fly Suppliers in MD ??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all! Well I have some painters in the house and they mistakenly threw out two feeder cups while they were cleaning up. I ordered a few containers from Black Jungle, but they probably wont be here for a day or two. Does anyone know of any suppliers in MD and/or alternate food sources for two quarter sized darts? They fed yesterday and I am sure there are flies in the tank hiding.
Not sure if they stock them in your area but the Petcos by me have melano cultures available. Quality is highly variable from store to store but they have proved to be a good back up plan for me in a pinch. I called around to the local stores and went to the one with the most cultures. I was able to find two pretty good ones at the time. Good luck.

Edit - FYI - it's $10 per culture by me and the are about 12 to 16 oz containers.
Try to get ahold of msteele and scott mengoniz (sp) they are both near you and could prob give you a culture.
Thanks, Unfortunately, I cannot find their info on the members search. Sad
Do you happen to have Scott's website or contact info? He is located in my town which is a huge plus.
Here's Mike Steele

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=46178

He's equally close and should be able to hook you right up.
I'm near Westminster and could meet you somewhere tomorrow with some cultures if you'd like...
Yeah I am about 1 hour south of you and I have a huge surplus of Cultures let me know if you want to meet up.
Actually if anyone in my area needs a few cultures they are more than welcome to them.

Honestly Mike is your best bet. He is an awesome guy and he always has a rack full of FFs.

-Byron
Thanks for all the offers guys and gals! You have all been a great help. I reached out to mike since he is the closest but I may reach out to Armson or Judy if I don't hear back from him by tomorrow afternoon. I will keep you all posted.
The Petsmart near me has ffs in small cultures, they've helped me in a pinch once or twice! Should be plenty for just 2 darts. Also, if your viv is seeded with springtails and/or isopods, you should be OK without any ffs for a few days.
Good luck!
Chimi--My email address is: Eightpennyfarm@gmail.com My home telephone number is: 410-848-2114, and mobile is: 443-277-8554. Don't hesitate...
I just remembered: Rick's Pet Supply on the Golden Mile has FFs (which I know he gets from Mike Steele)..they may have some available, just call them if you don't want to stray too far from Frederick..
Judy S Wrote:I just remembered: Rick's Pet Supply on the Golden Mile has FFs (which I know he gets from Mike Steele)..they may have some available, just call them if you don't want to stray too far from Frederick..

He did tell me something to that effect last time I was up there.

-Byron
Crisis averted! I ended up getting the last culture at Rick's during my lunch break. Thanks again everyone, you have all been a great help. Especially since I have only lived in MD for 7 weeks now and really don't know the area.
Good...I've been sorta waiting for some news! The one guy there, Andy, can be a bit "stiff"...but they will order stuff for you like isos, etc....and I do get crickets there...Am happy for you... When I first started trying to make cultures, I went all over the place and after a really long time sort of got the hang of it...
Hi all,
Going to put my question on this post since it is recent and pertains to this same subject. I started to take down my Christmas tree today and discovered that a nest of Praying Mantises had hatched all over the tree and floor. Hundreds of them! I captured as many as I could and put them in a butterfly hatching tent. However, I have NOTHING to feed them. I searched and found that they eat fruit flies but haven't been able to find any locally yet. I will try Ricks and the Petco tomorrow but I assume they take a few days to hatch?
Anyway, I am wondering if anyone would be willing to share some of their fruit flies with me? I am in New Market which is just outside of Frederick. Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Between Ricks and Petco...you should be alright. The Fruit fly cultures you buy from either of those places should have ready hatched flies in them - so no worries there.

also...baby mantids are cannibalistic, I thought.....could be wrong here. You may want to separate some to avoid them all being eaten by each other.

You are also going to need to hydrate them - without adequate water,small insects will dessicate and die within days if not hours...

Read up on Mantid care here:

http://mantidforum.net/forums/