Dart Den

Full Version: First dart tank , How did I do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well after all the sterilization & running around, I finished my viv. The drift wood log is completely hollow, there are duck under spots behind the bromeliad & green chert rock, and the little cave where where water flows out. I did not add my leaf litter yet but it is ready to be put in any time.
Temp range (night & day): 70-75 (at furthest point from water feature & light)
Humidity Level: 80-90%

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

This my first build for PDFs & I was wanting to start /w leucs, The tank is a total of 20 gal, & I am thinking of getting 2-4 but I would like to hear opinions on any improvements that I should do, before I purchase them.
Looks good. Make sure you have a glass top - at least 80-90% glass inorder to retain humidity. Easy way to check humidity levels is to spray heavy and on the tank sides and then judge how many hours it takes for the water droplets on the side glass to disappear.

While green moss may look appealing, it's not part of the Dart Frogs natural environment. Leaf litter is FAR superior of a ground cover and actually 'works' - keeps microclimes or pockets of humidity and serves to allow microfauna to populate as well as creates a visual barrier and hide for the frogs to feel more secure.

Do a search on 'leaf litter".

20 gallon size tank would be fine for 1.1 or perhaps 2.1 Dendrobates leucomelas IMO...an excellent and rewarding species.
Looks great! What a great first viv! What are the dimensions of the viv? Did you build the background?

The only suggestion I have would be to consider adding a few elements along the perimeter of the viv to provide more cover for the frogs. I like taller growing plants on the sides and some climbing vines in along the base of the background with the goal of developing a canopy of foliage. I also use shelf paper to black out the sides of my vivs - I cut patterns in the side to allow for some angled viewing, but again this helps provide a feeling of security for the frogs. The nice thing about shelf paper is you can always peel it off! It helps if you put your location in your profile - there may be a few froggers in your area willing to help you get started with a few cuttings.

Good luck with the leucs! Nice start - keep the pics coming!
Thank you for the compliments & suggestions.
I've got to admit just from building this one little 24''x18''x12'' tank it got me back into the addiction of tank set ups. Now I want to turn my 50 & 100 gals into vivs.

I do have leaf litter made (mostly leaves from different palms, bromeliads & other tropical plants), I was thinking to over lay leaf litter on top & allow the wet moss & frogs activity to compact the soil down so I don't have too much soil being pushed into the water feature from busy little frog feet. Its been about 2 hours since I sprayed the walls & there is water clinging on them about 1/2 an inch above the moss layer I am guessing the glass I used is too small?

The background came with the tank, I do have one vine at the base of it. I would love to try to get orchids to grow off the background & some palms on the sides. Never thought about the shelf paper, gives me a good excuse to break out the exacto knife.
Ideally, you want to see the condensation / water drops for the whole day if not several days. The longer the better.

The fight is between 100% humidity - a completely closed lid....and some % degree of opening. Too much, like 60 -70% and you risk serious dehydration and evaporation. Too little 95-100% for instance and then the air is stagnant and not good.

Other factors come into play for water evaporation - Temperature, ambient and from overhead lighting as wall as other surrounding air movement like fans or even many people walking in front of the vivarium. Those sorts of things.
I am definitely going to go find a larger glass sheet to put on top. One of the doctors that I work with suggested to get a used IV bag & line (that did not have any drugs injected into it) and jerry rig them into a rain fall system to help maintain humidity levels. I did put taller plants in on the sides to form a canopy which should help with some retention of humidity also.
The 80 -90% covered glass lid will solve all your humidity issues.

Also, make sure there is some standing water in the false bottom. This bit of water will also serve to keep humidity levels up.

Real plants that are large and broad leaved are also good additional mechanisms for retention of humidity.