Dart Den

Full Version: UK already getting Columbia Frogs?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was looking at this website and saw they had one of my favorite frogs available, the Columbian Auratus. Is this a case of where smuggling has occured or is it another case of where Europe gets the good stuff first?

http://www.dartfrog.co.uk/amphibians.html
Yeah.
"Apparently these are the progeny of the first import into Europe."
They left off "We have to use apparently, because if we did any research into their origin we'd know they weren't legal."
wait till they start posting pics of the larger obligates now also leaving those places....crazy stuff
sidney ferrell Wrote:wait till they start posting pics of the larger obligates now also leaving those places*....crazy stuff

*illegally

All evidence points to people starting the laundry early...
that business in England, has a decent reputation or so I'm told.
From what I've heard they are reselling frogs and of course their information is only as good as it's source (though that goes for me too). I don't think they are washing the frogs, someone else is. It happened with benedicta and others.
Ah, the EU. Froggers that make FL look good.
As far as I know, some of these were brought in previously many years ago...maybe that's what they mean when they say the "first" import.
RichFrye Wrote:Ah, the EU. Froggers that make FL look good.

Rich, come on those were 'legally' imported through Kazakhstan and Lebanon, you mean to tell me they dont cb rare obligates in those poor, war torn, countries?
when it was posted that the columbian frogs where coming in sometime in 2013 thru understory there was a person selling babies on the british dendro site. so i guess they have been in europe for a bit.
I know that Colombian auratus have been on the european mainland for at least 4 yrs,I don't know whether those frogs were from legit stock ie dating back to the 1990's,I don't know the history of the frogs talked about in this thread.

I do think we have real problems here and few folks care enough where their frogs come from. I genuinely believe we do have some legit large oophaga here, but as wIth you guys they are few and far between!!
I also believe smuggled frogs make their way here and some of us are becoming more aware of this and it's consequences.

The big problem is largely we simply don't have guys here to guide our first purchases so we end up like me with frogs of smuggled origins,granted they are CB here. Most of what I have learnt of dubious frogs has been stateside or from the UE site.
I think it is important to point out that some of us do give a damn about all this even though we have made mistakes,we are possibly the minority here ,but we do care and would love to have access to proper legit stock. as you already know some of the european dealers seem to be way far from honest about what they procure for sale.

Stu