Dart Den

Full Version: Purchasing Frogs from Reptile Conventions questions.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello DartDen!

I have A question about purchasing frogs from Reptile conventions as my brother and I will be attending Microcosm in San Diego, CA. I have spoken to one of the reps from the show that informed me that Dart Frogs will be present at the convention. The question that enters my mind is in this two day event the frogs will be in small containers for a long period of time and people walking by to see the frogs and possibly picking up the cups for further viewing. I can only imagine how much stress that can have on the frog(s). I was also considering purchasing from a well known website or breeder, but then shipping worries me as well.

Anyone in the SoCal (Inland Empire / Los Angeles area) area that has D. Tinc. Azurues', Phyllobates Terribilis, Dendrobates Tinctorius Matecho (Orange) for sale? I know I should of posted this paragraph in the wanted section, but I wanted to address two birds with one answer, thanks Dartden and thanks for all the shared knowledge and experience to bring a new hobbyist into the hobby.
Excellent concerns and questions.

The deli cup 'travels' and Reptile show = minimal to moderate stress. Not as bad as one may think in most cases. Cupping and transporting and time-in-cup has been used for many many years, and is pretty safe.

Shipping = Can be safe as well IF the shipper is very experienced and confident .Weather plays a huge risk factor here, both cold and heat.

All said, I would recommend the Reptile show. You get to see not only the exact, live-in the flesh animal, but also meet and talk to the seller / breeder. Win-Win.

I would go to Microcosm and buy some frogs there. I am sure you will be pleased with that convention !
Thank you very much Phil! I feel much better making purchases for live animals now and great point you made on being able to see the animals in person and meet and speak with the breeder.
Your are most welcome ! Glad you enjoy the forum here and please be sure to post with info about Microcosm for those of us that cannot attend. Lucky lucky you !
Chung,

One good thing to bring in the car with you when is an ice chest/cooler. Placing frogs, insects, etc., inside the cooler makes a safer trip for them, keeping temperature more stable. Hopefully the weather will be nice, but it is a good idea anytime you are transporting frogs.