Dart Den

Full Version: benedicta setup and husbandry
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I was wondering if there are any benedicta guys or gals out there that had luck breeding them,that might be able to help me out with some questions and input on my benedicta tank setup and husbandry. I purchased them as a proven pair. I was wondering if my viv was setup suitable for breeding? I put 2 black film canisters under the leaf litter and one up top (rear facing) I also put a petri dish under some large leafs for privacy. I feed them twice a day (calcium every day and herptvite multivitamins every other day. My temp and humidity is controlled by a hygrotherm controller keeping the tamp at 73 and humidity at 90%. I installed plastic computer fans that are on timers on top of the tank to run for 15 minutes three times a day for circulation. I have the misters coming on three times a day for 30 seconds each time and my foggers every two hours for 5 minutes each time. I stopped dropping my temp at night to 65, I have been keeping it consistent at 73. Do you think this sounds up to par or should I change it up? I was thinking about dropping my temp back down to 65 again at night. They seem to be happy and always out and about. These are some pictures of my viv and my Benedictas in there home. Thank you, Mike
[Image: 20130202173137.jpg]
[Image: 20130122083015.jpg]
[Image: 20130127161300.jpg]
[Image: 20130123132541.jpg]
[Image: 20130127101115.jpg]
[Image: 20130125180528.jpg]
[Image: 20130128074530.jpg]
I have a 1.2 and don't really do anything outside of normal husbandry to encourage breeding. Mine are housed in 17" tall horizontal setup. For whatever reason mine will not lay in film cans nor will the male drop a tad in a can, broms only.

I have a ton of leaf litter in the tank and that's usually where they lay, deep, very deep. I've also found eggs on brom and ficus leaves. I've quit digging around for eggs. If I happen to see them I'll pull them. About every 10 days or so I'll see the male with a tad or two on his back. There's no telling how many tads I have tucked away in axils. I've tried about everything to get the male to drop into something that I can pull, no dice. They are morphing out in the tank though, usually 3-4 at a time.

Benedicta seem to like it a bit warmer so the tank sits higher than others in my room. I also have the lighting set up so that the bottom of the tank is very dark. Other than that nothing special. It seems to work as I currently have 31 spares hopping around :wink:
IDPM Wrote:I have a 1.2 and don't really do anything outside of normal husbandry to encourage breeding. Mine are housed in 17" tall horizontal setup. For whatever reason mine will not lay in film cans nor will the male drop a tad in a can, broms only.

I have a ton of leaf litter in the tank and that's usually where they lay, deep, very deep. I've also found eggs on brom and ficus leaves. I've quit digging around for eggs. If I happen to see them I'll pull them. About every 10 days or so I'll see the male with a tad or two on his back. There's no telling how many tads I have tucked away in axils. I've tried about everything to get the male to drop into something that I can pull, no dice. They are morphing out in the tank though, usually 3-4 at a time.

Benedicta seem to like it a bit warmer so the tank sits higher than others in my room. I also have the lighting set up so that the bottom of the tank is very dark. Other than that nothing special. It seems to work as I currently have 31 spares hopping around :wink:
Hi IDPM, Thank you very much for your fast response and for sharing your methods with me. I will be sure to add more leaf litter. I know you said they like it warmer, what do you keep your temp at and do you drop your temp down at night? I also tried to keep the floor a little darker. I think I might have to go with a lower watt bulbes.
WOW!! 31 spares hopping around, that must be some sight.
Thank you again IDPM
Ditto on what Brad said, except mine will deposit tads in black film cans, because they have no other options. My viv is 18 zoomed cube and kept on top shelf to stay warmer. I also keep low light. My group is younger so only a few froglets w tads coming along.
I live in TX so there's really no such thing, at least for me, as temp drop 8-9 months out of the year. 76-74 deg during the warm months is about as good as it gets overnight. I keep the air at 76 and run a portable AC unit when needed.

You could try adding some more brom or branches, create a canopy, to block out some of the light from hitting the bottom.
HI Guys, Thank you for your help on this. I will do that today and add some more cover and try to get the bottom darker.
I will be sure to keep you posted Big Grin
HI Guys, I removed one of my two bulbs from my light fixture and dimmed it down. It definitely is a lot dimmer on the bottom. Sure enough they have been spending a lot more time together and more out in the open. When ever I look in (I try not to do that a lot) They are always together. I have 5 bromeliads in the tank and they even stay next to each other in the same one at night. I hope to post some pictures of eggs soon Big Grin
Congrats man!!! Keep us posted!
rcteem Wrote:Congrats man!!! Keep us posted!
I certainly will, Thank you again Big Grin
Hi Guys, well I had my first clutch on Valentines day, seems they liked the dimmer viv (very exciting) Big Grin

Day 1 (looking grey, I am a little nervous they are bad, being the first clutch and all)
[Image: 20130215095921.jpg]

Day 6 (some development in all three eggs)
[Image: 20130220161320resized.jpg]
This is very exciting, I hope all keeps going well. I will be sure to keep you posted
Hi Guys, I decided to snoop around my benedictas viv tonight (didn't really think I would find anything) Sure enough there was another clutch three more eggs Big Grin
[Image: 20130222205240resized.jpg]

As for the progress of my first clutch, everything seems to be going great.
The tads are starting to form and wiggle. I will be sure to keep you posted
[Image: 20130222205306resized.jpg]