Dart Den

Full Version: Choosing shelving/racking.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was planning on buying a metro style shelving unit this weekend, but after reading a couple horror stories on the other site I'm not sure now. What do y'all use and or suggest?
Bakers racks or pretty much nothing for me. 9 years plus with some pretty heavy weights and never a problem.
Good enough for me, seems to be what everyone uses.
here's why I like them.

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4472
So the "failure mode" of the baker's racks appears to be the plastic sleeves failing? I was wondering how much value there might be (for shelves that are already deployed) in securing metal hose clamps on the poles beneath each shelf...
the fail is almost certainly 'bad set-up" or bad weight distribution. Human error.
I like the hose clamp idea, pretty genious actually.
Philsuma Wrote:the fail is almost certainly 'bad set-up" or bad weight distribution. Human error.

Well if you want to keep a bunch of 10 gallons on a rack id say go for it. you don't have much to loose. anything more and why chance it. if you feel the need to pay for an overpriced exo I would think twice. Only thing I use a bakers rack for is Growout tubs and tad. Maby a single 10 temp.
Can't beat 2x4s, lag bolts, screws and thick plywood.
well, ended up getting a Sandusky 60x74x18.....Im 320# and sat on the rack my vivs are on and didn't bow it. bakers racks it is.
sp** 74HX60WX18D