Dart Den

Full Version: 1st Basti Tank - build w/Pics
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hellllloo everyone,

My names Brett and I'm a Pharmacy student who got extremely board of studying, soooo…. to kill time for about the last yr I've been doing ALOT research and a ton of reading after being interested in this hobby for a while now after years of reefing, and now I'm finally finishing my 1st Basti tank. I've had it growing for about 3-4 months now and i have been practicing and perfecting everything. I took pictures of the whole build along the way, but i just have these pics tonight on my laptop, i'll post the others as soon as i transfer them. My Basti pair comes next week and I'm pretty pumped. Any input is appreciated before my pair gets here! Thanks for looking.
Welcome, Brett,
What a gorgeous tank!!!!! Selection of plants is superb, really looks nice. What kind of background did you use? What size is the tank? Your bastis will be very lucky.
Diane
Thanks Diane,

opps, its an eco terra 18x18x24, and i did the GS foam and coco fiber mix, but i put an internal fan in as well. So the fan is is the middle to give it some more dimension. Let me try and find a pic real quick.
Very cool looking tank Brett!! Love that piece of wood. My only criticism would be, your not finding a frog in that tank that does not want to be found. Getting behind that wood will be next to impossible. I try to design all my tank to be semi accessible. But awesome tank none the less, looks better than any of mine! lol
That is a gorgeous piece of wood! I agree with KGB that it would be next to impossible is you HAD to find a frog, but hopefully you will leave the bastis in the tank and they can just enjoy life! Thanks for posting, and good luck! Please continue to post pix, can't wait to see the bastis when they get to you.
Diane
PS: It is a small world. I went to high school and lived in Wheaton/Glen Ellyn/Lombard for 15 years, my husband's aunt/uncle/cousins lived in Downers Grove.
Just wow...
Man Brett, great tank!! It seems you certainly did your research. As others mentioned it might be hard to find the frogs at times, and froglets if/when they breed, but as the adults get used to the tank I think you will see them more and more. Definitely a show tank!
Thanks guys! Yeah, i don't plan on moving the frogs out of here, I made this tank specifically for a show tank. But if they decide to breed, then ill definitely have to wait till the froglets are large enough to catch.
Great 1st build Brett and welcome to DD !

Are those pics in the first post showing up for everyone ? I have to click into the editor mode of that post to view them now...didn't have to before. The other 'build' pics are good to go though...
KGB Wrote:Very cool looking tank Brett!! Love that piece of wood. My only criticism would be, your not finding a frog in that tank that does not want to be found. Getting behind that wood will be next to impossible.

"If you feed them they will come." Ha! a few fruitflies by the front will make even the frog you thought was long gone a year ago appear. No frog can hide from some delicious fruitflies. ; )
^ Hahaha, yeah thats what I'm banking on. Im gonna post some build pictures in a bit. Thanks again everyone
Philsuma Wrote:Are those pics in the first post showing up for everyone ?

I am able to see them, but they are down in the "attachments" section so they are not able to be clicked on and enlarged. However, they are large enough to see how AWESOME of a viv Brett built...nice work!
Philsuma Wrote:Great 1st build Brett and welcome to DD !

Are those pics in the first post showing up for everyone ? I have to click into the editor mode of that post to view them now...didn't have to before. The other 'build' pics are good to go though...

Pics in the first post show up fine for me. (OS X 10.8 / Google Chrome)
Here are some of odds and ends of build pics. Let me know if you have any questions, thanks again
Hi Brett
If you never see the frogs, at least you have those beautiful broms as eye candy. Great build thread! Keep up the good work.
Beautiful viv.
If you place a canopy of broms up top to help shield some of the light down below you will have better luck with seeing them.
Lots and lots of leaf litter and holding off if those frogs were supposed to be shipped this week. Our forecast in IL took a dump and I'm not shipping anything this week.
Please quarantine before placing them in that beauty.
Hell yeah Brett! Love the Hogs Breath picture!

How often do you get down to Duval?

-Byron
Thanks guys. I have some pics ill post tonight that I took with my camera, trying to figure out the right settings for lighting. What do you mean Byron?
Hogs breath saloon picture you have hanging on the wall.

http://hogsbreath.com/keywest/

I didn't realize there were other locations. I thought the only one was on Duval st in Key West.

-Byron
Oh! haha, yeah thats is from Key West, thats from a few years ago! I can't believe you noticed that, haha