Dart Den

Full Version: Relevant and Non-Disputable Facts - Line info
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm tired of the speculation and non-relevant facts being thrown around DB in the last few days , so with the last energy I have I will explain real quick and simple how one can manage a population where , say 20 animals came in and survived.

Just because an import or a person has a 'line' named attached to their frogs does not mean there is only one Frye line anything. Or EU anything, or, or , or...I know Patrick has/had MANY lines of Bastis

If an export from Panama in 2005 with locale data frogs had a total of 10 frogs , which turned out to be 3 males and 7 females, there are now potentially three lines (absolute , different bloodlines, baring natural inbreeding) and from ONE little import , that may or may not be "on the radar"...there are three absolute lines of Panama pums ,in that example.
Repeat logic for any WC import and it's not tough to understand.

The key is the people you are basing your info on have to be 100% reliable in their info.

Now, here's another key point:
If I personally have a pair of WC and plan to work with them as a long term project...how long do I need to worry about that specific pair? Not at all.

So, offspring are key here. We turn to other lines, like the ones that came in with your track-able founding stock...

Done now.
But I'll tell you what, when I feel up to it , I plan on adding.
Just for curiosity sake... If I take a 1.0 from Bob's line with a 0.1 from Jim's line, does the new line become Jim x Bob line? Or does it get a new line name all together ie: Kris' line?

Also. If I take an f3 and mate it with the parent stock does the offspring become f1. Or f3xf1 =f2?
itskris Wrote:Just for curiosity sake... If I take a 1.0 from Bob's line with a 0.1 from Jim's line, does the new line become Jim x Bob line? Or does it get a new line name all together ie: Kris' line?

Also. If I take an f3 and mate it with the parent stock does the offspring become f1. Or f3xf1 =f2?

JimxBob and 3x1
itskris Wrote:Also. If I take an f3 and mate it with the parent stock does the offspring become f1. Or f3xf1 =f2?

Technically it wouldn't be an F anything. The F.. nomenclature isn't used when you start backcrossing. I don't actually know what that would be and I'm not sure if there is even a strict precedent. An F1 backcrossed to its parent (founder) would produce BC1 offspring, but whether or not that means an F3 backcrossed to its great grandparent would produce BC3, I don't know. I think it would be BC3 regardless of which individual in the preceding lineage it was crossed with..... Any geneticists in the room?!

My guess is that it is rarely done in a clinical/experimental setting, so terminology has never been ironed out......

Nick
After a bit of discussion here, the consensus is that it would be BC3, or F3B (apparently) depending on where in the world you are...... Probably all becomes a bit academic after a while!!

Nick