Dart Den

Full Version: Unusual Froglets
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I thought I`d share these photo`s of some froglets which have recently morphed out.
They are only 2 weeks out of the water.
They are NOT hybrids before someone tries to castrate me lol.
I checked with the breeder that sold me the parents 2 1/2 years ago.
He himself is very well regarded in the UK and the parents of these froglets are an unrelated group of 2males, 1 female.
They were bred from frogs which in turn came from highly regarded breeders in the UK and Germany.
Last week I was playing guessing games with people at a frog show and some very knowledgeable people failed to identify what they are.
They are in fact Azureus, and in the first pic you can see one with a "normal" older sibling.
Hope you enjoy looking at them as much as I do.

Mike

[Image: azzie03.jpg]

[Image: azzie02.jpg]

[Image: azzie01.jpg]
Young darts, including tincs, change froglet/juvi colors and patterns sometimes as they age.
No castration needed here.
Hold it back

Call it a 'pastel'

Seek out other similar looking 'oddballs' and line breed them all

I KID, I KID....don't do anything close to all that.
Pretty neat. I can tell you that my azureus pair tends to yield lightly colored froglets that slowly turn blue over the course of about a month. They are not nearly as extreme as the froglets you have posted, but I'm still new! I posted a lengthy thread on courting / egg development / froglet development here along with photos along the way:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=6384

Here are a couple of shots of mine showing the progression from OOW, to a few weeks, to a few months:
[Image: file.php?id=3667]
[Image: file.php?id=3041]
[Image: file.php?id=3358]

Congratulations on the froglets and keep the pictures coming!
Philsuma Wrote:Hold it back

Call it a 'pastel'

Seek out other similar looking 'oddballs' and line breed them all

I KID, I KID....don't do anything close to all that.

Good thing you added that "I KID", becasue that's essentially exactly what a big name did. And still what other seek out.
Nice pics there.
Up until now my froglets have all been similar to what your showing there.
But when I first saw these I had to do a double take and thought someone had changed my tads.
Phil it has been suggested to me from several people to hold on to these froglets and see what transpires.
Being that whatever they look like they are definitely Azureus what are the chances of them giving me "normal" looking youngsters or do you think they`ll give me more of the same ?
I`m not interested in line breeding in case you wondered, but if they keep anything remotely close to those colours they would make for an attractive adult frog and it would be hard to resist wanting to breed with them, even with a normal looking adult.
I imagine this would then strengthen the chances of these colours reappearing, aka line breeding.
With having posted these photo`s here and elsewhere and having showed them off to people at a frog show everyone knows they are Azureus, so I can`t be accused of breeding hybrids.
But there are the questions going around in my head about what happens if I bred these frogs and started getting none standard looking Azureus.
Or lets change the above sentence a bit.
I sell these frogs on and someone else breeds with them and suddenly appear at a show/meet trying to sell strange looking Azureus.
If these frogs were in the wild they would breed with each other, so what about in the viv ?

Mike
Be sure to get back to us in about 4 months.
Hi Rich
Now I`m signed up I`ll no doubt be around for a bit lol.
I`ll certainly keep you posted.
Truth be told I`m half expecting them to change to something a bit closer to what you`d expect an Azureus to look like.
Time will definitely answer some of the questions and even if I`m selling them on I`ll probably have them for the next 5 months anyway.

Mike