Dart Den

Full Version: Got an extra 33 gallon long ... Ideas?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a 33 gallon long laying around and I'm toying with the idea of vivifying it. Was thinking of a vert side lite with led spots to give the illusion of a column of a canopy. For those unfamiliar with the tank it is roughly 12" tall by 48" wide by 12" deep in its normal orientation. Basically a short 55 gallon.

If I did go vertical on this it would have lots of staggered shelves and a custom stand / hood combination. Thinking about a pedestal with a vertical box on the open side of the tank hiding the door an the lighting.

Dunno ... Weird dimensions but it could have a cool look. Looking for opinions. Maybe this thin is destined for Craigslist.
Hey Jim
You will have a hard time getting decent light @ bottom half of viv. Not much room for leaf litter either. Id rather invest in a GhostViv if I was in mkt for building a new tank. I have some 29 verts and they are fine, but not as versatile as the Euro style.
I'm not too worried about lighting. The "hood" would be vertical as well wrapping the side and the top. I would use mr11 LED spots to simulate shafts of light up the side. But I agree the 12x12 footprint is limiting on leaf litter. An well. It'll stay in the shed a while longer.
Oh and I have been talking to Casper about a ghostviv for a bigger project Smile