Dart Den

Full Version: Poll - Does the Hobby like or need 'leadership' ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does the Hobby like or need 'leadership' ?
Leadership - absolutely not
Mentorship - absolutely yes

If leadership is needed to enjoy a hobby, then perhaps those that need a leader shouldn't call it a hobby ...

The biggest problem I see with this "hobby" is that too many want to be leaders, police what they think is wrong, and generally attempt impose their will or way of doing things on others whether that be through intimidation, bullying, etc. State your opinion and move on - I don't need a "leader" to enjoy my hobby.

Now, mentorship, that's a whole different story. If we had more mentors and less wanna be leaders, this hobby would be much better off.
Excellent Ed. I would love to see a thread from you on how we can implement this (soon...before the hobby implodes). Good stuff.
If this thread is properly attended and honestly answered...we just may have our exact reason why Taron is as active in the hobby as he is.
I was recently exchanging email with a veteran frogger getting advice on testing methods and what labs to use. I was commenting on how hard it was to know who the "right" people were to buy frogs from. There are lots of secret handshakes or code words that newbs like me don't necessarily pick up on so it is hard to figure stuff out. There are a couple of truly bad guys that you can learn about in 30 minutes of forum surfing, but there is this other gray area that a newb can stumble into without knowing the ropes. This is where mentors can help.

I would also like to see more transparency with test results. I think if we talk about that more than newbs will understand that despite their frogs small stature they still require the investment of a mammal. These are not "disposable pets", a term that I hate, but that is often applied to small animals. They require and investment in tests up front that often rivals their acquisition price. I don't think a lot of newbs understand that.

So I agree with Ed - we need good mentors in the hobby that are not snarky and clickish but genuinely willing to help others and thereby help the hobby and the animals. I think I have found a few that I can lean on and I appreciate that. But I do probably spend too much time on the forums Smile
I think 'leadership' can be a form of mentoring and vice versa. I certainly had that in mind when I started the poll...kind of a blur of both terms.

Ed quickly brought up another good perspective though - very valid. The 'don't tread on me' aspect. Pure hobby 100%. Leisure. Fun. Stress free....and I totally get that. Can we really achieve this nirvana though ? I think we can if we ...stay off the forums, lol.
Philsuma Wrote:Excellent Ed. I would love to see a thread from you on how we can implement this (soon...before the hobby implodes). Good stuff.
Darn it....promised everyone Id do good and keep to myself phil.

But can you explain how,why or for whom the hobby will implode for?

Because for me its just getting better! Despite my recent,past and im sure future f ups...I have grown to appreciate my animals that much more after constantly being shot down,pushed dow and kicked to the curve by many...yet I have stuck with my animals and although reduced collection for a summer project...i am only getting better at it and believe it or not, realizing the bs ive pulled off and knowing i will make it better.

But for me its not imploding...man are you kidding me?! Look at the animals we are now given a chance to work with and imo many have been putting this hobby on the map...met soo many more new froggers here than altogether in past 3 yrs combined
O and by "prmosied everyone" I mean a few who have been around and have mentored me through the past year. ; )
'implode' was meant to be sarcastic. Sometimes sarcasm doesn't translate well. I really don't think anything serious -good or bad, is going to happen anytime soon, with the hobby. Change takes a while.
Philsuma Wrote:'implode' was meant to be sarcastic. Sometimes sarcasm doesn't translate well. I really don't think anything serious -good or bad, is going to happen anytime soon, with the hobby. Change takes a while.
I totally respect that phil....you want real implosion? Come home with me to south texas and right across the border...now theres a hardcore hobby i like to call the cartel/zetas...kids now being abducted for organs,pups being sold and stuffed with goodies, families being forced to mule across to save the rest of their family. Now thats something that terrifies me everytime im down....this...well I can tell you right now, i dont care if its jesus whom might be the biggest frogger we never knew about, will ever make me stop breeding and enjoying my animals or leave this hobby! Can I be taught a lesson and feel like a pos and rethink what im doing and how to be a better person? Hell yes... Im glad ive gone through what ive gone through because im sure it couldve been much worse if All hadnt happened...

By no means am I saying I am rehabed ,and the best cookie in the jar and that all my fellow outlaws will turn their crap around, but im being 100% sencire when I say I am trying my best to make up for mistakes and play it cool from here on out.
Mentoring yes!!! Leadership? How about lead by example? It's the lack of leading by example that allows the Taron's of the hobby to exist.
Rusty_Shackleford Wrote:Mentoring yes!!! Leadership? How about lead by example? It's the lack of leading by example that allows the Taron's of the hobby to exist.

I couldn't agree more! I do want to say though; there are a fair amount of froggers who do lead by example. To those froggers who choose to do right regardless of the situation, those who can turn their backs on immoral temptation I applaud you.

-Christian