Dart Den

Full Version: Found eggs got questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So last night i found my first set of eggs under a hut on a dish.
my question is I removed the dish and placed in a ziploc container with a little water on the bottom
now im wondering if i removed them to fast? should i put them back?
also there is alot of sub in the dish should i remove that as well or just leave as i found it in the ziploc container.
this is my first set of eggs so your help and advice would be great
Usually eggs are only pulled too soon, within hours or actually interrupting the pair. Either way, they are out now, so it's best to just hope for the best.

You can take a spoon and remove the substrate ect, being careful not to disrupt the eggs.

Use spring / grocery store bottled water and make sure there is always a little in the petri dish but never covering or submerging the eggs. They need air.

I would place the perti dish inside a plastic show box type box with a loose fitting lid and again, just make sure there is a bit of water in the petri dish so the eggs don't dessicate.
Do not worry about putting them back in, the male does his business early in the egg laying process. If he fertilized them, there is a good chance they will be alright. Put a new dish under the hut and wait for the next clutch. What species?
they are cobalts first pair of frogs i bought and they are a pair lucky me.
Im told i should see some development in 5 to 7 days? sound right?
do i keep them in the dish til they hatch from the egg then add to deli cup?
house temp is in the mid to low 70s sounds good?
any other advice as far as tad water?
i was planning on bottled spring water with boiled amond leaves
thank you for everyones advice
I feel like a kid again watch eggs turn to tadpoles to frogs like in class
In terms of development expectations, my azureus pairs' first two clutches did not make it. They slowly improved their yields over the course of 4 months with a dramatic improvement when I added repashy with vit A to my rotation. I did capture a daily photo log of a tads development. Here is the final post:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=6384&start=140#p47093

Yes leave them in the dish until they hatch (their tails will go from curved to straight). you may want to read up on treating with methelyne blue if you start having fungus issues (I apply to all my pairs' clutches). Room temps are fine. Your water plans sound good. I'd read through the breeding sub forum here - lots of good threads on egg and tadpole care. Good luck!
is it possible for the female to lay eggs without a adult male?
will they produce year around or is there a season time of year?
is there anything i should do for the adults heavy feeding more misting?
Females laying eggs without a male - yes I've heard of it, but I think it's on the more rare side.

Tincs will produce year round. When then lay constantly, they will tax their resources and it will actually debilitate both male and female, sometimes more so for the male who will get skinnier. This is why you must feed a little more than usual and be 100% sure to use good vitamins and calcium and dust often.
Thanks for the advice
also, don't be discouraged if that first batch of eggs is not fertile. Usually any pair of frogs will have a lower percentage of viable eggs the first time or so. Frogs that stay together or in breeding cycle usually 'fix' this and then the eggs usually are almost always fertile. So, the first time or so, it's really out of your hands. Providing them with increased food and good superfine supplements helps tremendously though.
update 7 days later and the eggs have devleped nicely it looks like i have 13 healthy tads going im sure in a few days they will be out of the eggs
question when out of the eggs i then move them to a small cup with how much tadpole tea? do i also then add the leaf on top of that?
how offen do you incress the water and by how much?
egg-cellent !!

the cup can be anywhere from 3-10 ozs or even more....no real size requirement. If small size, be sure to vacuum the detritus sooner like every 3 days or so.

Tadpole tea is made with leaves, boiled and turns out almost identical to human tea ! Similar colour and consistency. Look for a thread or two on the egg or water subforum here. I'll try to find a couple and bump them for ya.

I 'top off' or replace evaporated water from the tad cups every few days as well....also the vacuuming with a turkey baster like I wrote above.

Congrats and good luck !!
once the tads can free swim is there a thing of too much water about how deep?
when they are totally free of the egg, I place them individually in 2.5 oz condiment cups.
tads are all wiggling around so all looks good?
just found a new group of eggs today 9 days after the first set.
i have read a lot of different ideals on how to house your tads what do you guys think of this.
I plan to keep each tad in its own container 16oz cup place in a plastic storage box
i don't think i will have to heat it as water temp in house is 77 during the day and a little less at night
what is the best temp to keep your tads at?
do not use a plastic 'tackle box' / storage box.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=4763&hilit=leeching

Room temps - 70-75F are what I like for tads.
What would you recommend to house them if I'm keeping each in there own container
I was thinking mason jars but though they were to big
Are the plastic cups safe
anything that is 'food safe' is what you want. Restaurant stores sell plastic cups of all sorts - deli cups 24, 12, 8, 6, 2 oz sizes.

Grocery stores sell 'food safe' plastic containers. Look for the labels.

ALL glass is basically good. You saw the thread where the poster was using large mason jars ? Mason jars are ok, you don't have to fill them up even half way.
check out how Jim keeps his tads in this thread....

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=6384&start=160