Dart Den

Full Version: Ranitomeya benedicta eggs just Found
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay so I was cleaning out a temporary holding tank today, a 15 gallon, that has 5 Ranitomeya benedicta and found 4 eggs.

One of the frogs was right there on them, I was not planning on breeding them as of yet, as their 30 gallon was not finished, I was using this as a temporary spot to hold them. I use lil clay pots turned on their sides buried half way in spag. I mean lil clay pots like 1 inch and some 1.5 inch.... I find they make cute lil hides...anyway, the bottom is loaded with leaf litter and some pothos runs through it.

Pryor to finding these surprises, The male ( or one of the males) has been calling and he is a bold one, I have also been noticing 2-3 of them taking lil dunks in their water cups, some dive all the way under the water, others hang on to the side and sort of lower their bottoms for a long soak, I use shot glasses, throughout the tank, filled half way with pebbles. Yeah, Yeah, everyone is telling me they wont drown, but I still get scared. Is that kinda swimming normal?

I can try to get pics of the eggs, can anyone tell me if they are good, and what should I do?
Can I move them? They are white, They kinda look like " Lil spit balls " like what you would roll up from your straw and spit through it, its the only way I know how to explain it...... and in jelly.

If I leave them, ( I already disturbed the tank, was in the process of cleaning it) will the parents still tend to them?

Can I move them to a petri dish thing, or just say, Bye Bye to the eggs?

I bought the 5 from Black Jungle March 29th, they were all full grown. Lil chunky too. I love them, can anyone help with any ideas?

I have been trying to do research all day on this, but There is nothing I can find that fits my problem.

I did read Dart Frog Hobby Glossary and Terminology, so I know they are not egg eaters.

If anyone wants pics, tell me what it is you need to see, if I should remove the eggs and then take pics? I wont touch them now...I am waiting for some advice.....

And tell me what, If anything I did wrong.

(I cant find the spell check, when I post a new item, so excuse ma spelling)
just take a couple pics of them where they sit. No need to move them.
Will Do
If you leave the eggs and the tads hatch out the male should transport them to a water site. After that the tads are on their own. You can either pull them or feed them in the temp setup. Just make sure you have plenty of deposition sites.

You also might want to check, if you haven't already, your shot glasses and make sure they haven't already snuck a tad or two past you.
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

Now here are the eggs pics, in no order...I moved the leaf, and found more in the back....

Are they good parents, per say, will they go back to the "NEST"? Since I disturbed it? Them?

Differents Views, I did the best I could... Hope you can tell, if they are good...They are gooey, and when I moved the leaf, it had eggs on it too...

Eggs:

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
I want to enter this for Photo Of the Month.... But dont know where to enter it!

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
Those pots are good deposition sites. Are they clay ?

and yes, those are eggs.
They are from Michaels craft stores, they range in size from .25 inch (that one has no hole) on up.

I like using all sizes in my frog tanks.....

What do I do with th eggs?

Do I just leave them?

Can I do something to ensure they hatch?
How long is it before they do?
How long from Tads to Froglets?

Thank you for being my number info on our darts.
So what do I do, Can I remove the eggs and raise them?

Will they go back and " WATCH OVER " them that I disturbed their " NEST "?

These are my first babies...
Here are my Clay pots and shot glasses (votives)...

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

This Is the size that has the Eggs, My thumbnails prefer this size...

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

These are what are scattered throughtout the tank, Lil Jacuzzis!

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

In my Orange Lamasi He has 2 sizes of clay pots... (Look Closly, He's Hiding Under The Pink Piper, Camera Shy!)

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

R. Benedicta's...

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
I'd leave the eggs in place and let the frogs do all the work. I dunno about your high glass with pebbles thought. If a tad gets placed in there, it will dive and hide and you'll never see it / in case you need to clean the water , do maintenance ect...it would be hard.
Okay so I was checking on the Eggs, and I peeked into another pot that was close by....

There are like 10 - 11 of these lil pots throughout the tank.... I found 1 Tadpole, I AM SO FREAKIN EXCITED!!!!!!

Do I touch the tadpoles?
They are ok just glued to the corners of the pot like that?
This one is in a lil jelly, do I spray him?

There are two Benedictas On the leaf that is right there on the top of the pot, they are behind the pot? are these the parents?

I just went back in to check on the tadpole, and one frog was with the tadpole, one still on the pot.

Again what do I do, Sorry for being excited, I am a 1st time Frog Parent.

Oh & Phil, I took out the pebbles.....Thank you for that advice.....

Here's Pics:

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
Sorry for the crappy pics, I was excited & wanted to take pics, and wanted to do it fast as to not disturb them....
OH ,can someone tell me the time frames, From being an egg to tad to coming outta the jelly into water, then losing their legs getting on land...

We are trying to look it up now, but one of you "SMARTIES" prob know the answer like the back of your hand, I am just learning..... You guys know everything, hence why I am here and not somewhere else.....

Ask me how many days incubation is for IRN/Plumhead/Derbyan/Moustache/Alexandrine (Psittacula) takes and I'll tell ya, CC's on feeding/Temp & humidity/How to turn the egss an all, for each species...lol.

We are very excited here on the ranch for this lil guy, I want him to make it. First one who answers me, Gets the babe named after him...lol

Can you tell I'm Excited...Birds are jealous!
Congratulations on the eggs and tad! Big Grin
Thank you so much!!!!
We are so excited it was an " UNPLANNED PREGNANCY" LOL!
I've had a breeding colony of vanzolinii, but that is my only thumbnail.

I will hope that one of the guys that breeds Bennies here will answer your questions.

Great pics by the way.
It will take about 2 1/2 to 3 months for the frog to morph.

I mentioned before that if you decide to leave the tads in the tank and they are transported you will have to decide to leave them as is or feed them yourself. Fantastica do not egg feed.

If it helps put you at ease I haven't pulled Benedicta tads for ages and I have babies morphing all all time. Now, If only I could catch them...
Okay So the Eggs and Tadpole did not make it.

Sad

Eggs got Icky looking, and the tadpole was fully formed but dead....
So from my Bird Breeding experience, I believe they abadoned their " nest "...lol.

Or I upset their tank and they ... ????

I have gotten all different kinds of advice, so Leaving the eggs did not work out....

The majority of the advice I got was to pull the eggs....
soooo I am going to do that now....

I spoke to one great frogger, who also told me that if I left the eggs, they would not lay more, He was right....

I now have 18++++ Eggs in lil pots.... More in the tank.... I pulled I believe 16, in two pots, They LOVE the clay pots.

What I did was soak the 2 pots that I was going to "SNEAK IN" into the tank, in a bowl of water for ten minutes.
Then I pulled the pots with eggs that I could reach, replace them with the 2 soaked pots,
and replace their moved furniture (leaves) so as to not look disturbed....
I may be underestimating them...
I could not reach where the other eggs are so I just left them and will hope for the best....

I am hoping that the pot "SWITCH A ROO" May go unnoticed, as they carry about their biz...lol

Then I put the pots in a plastic food container, and some moss that also has eggs on it, and extra moss to raise the humidity and keep the pots from rolling around...

Put a small amount of water tokeep the eggs/moss moist... Then zipped it all up in a zip lock baggie, I was told to open the baggie for a bit each day...

Is all of this correct, if not please Dart Den members help me!

I am sending pics in the next post....
16 Plus eggs, can anyone tell if any are not " GOOD "?

What about the odd shaped ones (3 eggs).
There are 4 eggs in the Moss, One big white one, and 3 greyish funny shaped ones.
They are in pics 4 & 5.

Are they shaped that way because I moved the Moss?

Did I do the zip bag correctly?

Pics:

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]