Dart Den

Full Version: Visual barriers between vivs ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would like to get some input from everyone on visual barriers between vivs. Currently everything I have with the exception of the last four vivs I replaced has a visual barrier between the tanks so that the frogs can not see into the next one over.

The last four I built I decided to leave the barrier out and I am pleased with the way it looks compared to them being blocked off. I can not say that I have really noticed any adverse conditions and everyone seems to be doing well. The frogs will from time to time try to get flies from the next tank over. But I am sure I do not know everything that is going on with them and their stressors.

I think I know the answer and that would be to use a barrier but I would appreciate your thoughts on the matter. For you that have multiple vivs set up next to each other, what do you do?
I have some with barriers and some without and havent noticed anything different with the way the frogs act between the two.
Piece of cardboard, like a slider, between the vivs ? I would do it. So easy. Limit the stress every little/which way ya can.
Yes between the vivs Phil. I have been using craft paper and taping it up. I thought it looked a little better than just a piece of cardboard between them. I like the look of no barrier but ultimately I want what is best for the frogs.
Black contact paper....peels and trims easily on and off.

Go to Home Depot or Lowes - contact paper is used to line kitchen cabinet drawers, I think. BEST stuff to put on glass by a mile IMO.
Indeed contact paper works well. I went for the craft paper for the brown previously. On my new vivs I am using 5% window tint, so far I really like it. I am sure I could find black contact paper as well.
I use black contact paper - I like that it is waterproof. Like Phil said it's cheap at Home Depot. I have also used white opaque privacy appliqués (Gila brand at Home Depot). It lets light through but you can't see through it. I use it for my canopy glass. Have not tried it on the side of a viv but that may be neat. Unless that is what you meant by tint :lol: I will stop typing now...
I do not have any contact paper etc. between my vivs, there is a 8-10 gap between them.
No aggression. However, I do have quite a bit of plants for cover. Maybe needed if the vivs are touching each other.