Dart Den

Full Version: Coating on glass to stop escaping flies?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Quaz

Some how in my flawless construction of my vivarium the fruit flies have found ways to escape. Confusedhock: "hey what's that in my coffee?"
Is there a material that I can coat the glass with just under the trim that the flies won't cross but won't stick to either.

though the fish do love them when the make it into their tank.
I use to culture hissing cochroaches for my chameleons and used vaseline around the top of the open container to keep them at bay. I don't know if the petroleum jelly would be bad for the frogs though.

ED's_Fly_Meat_Inc

There is a product on the market called "BUG STOP" it is a teflon coating that you apply wet and it dries. The flies cannot get purchase on the teflon.
Dave

hkspowers

think it is time to resize that avatar ed. LOL

turtletracker

ED's_Fly_Meat_Inc Wrote:There is a product on the market called "BUG STOP" it is a teflon coating that you apply wet and it dries. The flies cannot get purchase on the teflon.
Dave

I did a search for BUG STOP and teflon coatings and couldn't find this product...any help Ed?

dmartin72

How ironic considering it is a thumbnail.

hkspowers Wrote:think it is time to resize that avatar ed. LOL

Froggy 44

Quaz , From your picture of the clown fish I assume you are also into reefing . I to have reef tanks , so I'm sure you know about the silicone you can buy online to use for O rings in canister filters . i use this around the top edge of my viv and then set the glass top on . Works perfect to seal the lid and is non toxic to frogs just like it is to salt water fish . Problem Solved !

joshdartman

What I do is rub some calcium powder around the top. It needs to be reaplied every few days, but it is very easy and I already have a lot of calcium powder on hand because of my herps.

dendromom

Do you have a thumbnail species? It has been said by experienced froggers that if a fly can get out of your tank, your frog will soon find a way as well if it is a thumbnail. How are the flies escaping---through large holes in a screen or through a loose edge along the side of the tank's lid?