Dart Den

Full Version: bulk cork rounds - finding decent deals
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I bought bulk cork bark from a hobby vendor twice. The first time I was quite pleased since I received a variety of sizes. The second time I received a box full of tiny pieces. I was a bit frustrated so I thought I would try another source. I ordered Zoo Meds bulk cork rounds from Amazon (15 lbs $77 shipped). It arrived in a 24x19x18 box:
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
The variety of sizes was impressive:
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
Yes that is a giant cork round at the top - about 24 inches long and about 8 to 10 inches in diameter. The tiles in the background of the photo are 18 x 18. The pieces were in the same condition as the bark I have purchased from hobby vendors. It's dirty and requires a good scrubbing but it was worth the effort to me. I was pleased. I'm sure it's hit or miss as to what you receive. It would be great if others that have bought a box would post a picture of what they got.

I'd likely buy again (especially with prime shipping). Feel free to tag on other sources for good deals on cork rounds and flats.
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
After Jim ordered his bulk cork rounds/flats, I ordered one too. Mine was from Pet Mountain, 15# Zoo-Med, bulk cork rounds/flats, $75.99 with free shipping. I ordered it last Thursday, they said it would get here this coming Thursday. Lo and behold! It got here today. I am more than happy with it. Many large pieces, will help me make several vivs, at least!
Thanks for the idea, Jim! (Tiles in the background are 12x12.)
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
quite lucky ovee here, haven't ordered one yet, but thinking about it, we have these all at £29 ($46) and £5 delivery, options are (all 5kg) Large cork tubes, Medium Tubes, Small Cork Tubes, Large Flats and MIxed
So that works out to about the same price, you pay $54 for 11 pounds, we pay $76 for 15 pounds, both roughly $5 per pound, delivered (if my quick math is correct). That is a great savings over the individual pieces!
I was at an animal show today which confirmed this, small piece run $5-10 each, medium $12-18 and large $20-35 each. These smaller pieces weigh just ounces! (These same prices are at local pet stores.)
What country do you live in?
Yep, Euro = 54 vs 74.35 US $.
England. I've bought big pieces here for £15, but where i work (a store that sells everything but is small to you guys lol) and they sell komodo gear, got myself a piece of flat that must've been 3ft by 2ft, for £5 once, wish they'd get the cork rounds