Dart Den

Full Version: Oophaga pumilio "cristobal" calling question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a male calling with two others in the viv. The other two aren't calling. How would I tell if the calling is territorial or courting?
Very hard to tell, sometimes, even with 2.

I would seperate down to 1.0.1 and recheck from there. Observe and decide if you want to do the same with the other 0.0.1
So moving to different set ups wont stress them out? What are the ways to sex pumilios?
No extra stress, no - as long as your temp tank is adequate.If you have a second male and it's submissive right now, then you have more stress occurring right now, than if you separate.

adult, sexually mature males can have a dark spot under chin/throat area and stretch marks, but that's only if they are older and have been calling a lot to produce the 'stretch' ect. CB and smaller pums are, of course, harder to tell.
Is the only way to tell if its a female if its laying eggs?
correct.otherwise it may just be a submissive male that never calls.
Ok looks like I'll have to separate them then.I hope they are females that haven't laid eggs yet.
with 2 animals, you should see more 'genuine' / sexual interaction. The 'third wheel' sometimes throws everything off.
Where the frogs sold as sexed? Or just adults?
These your first frogs?
Was sold as a calling male and the other 2 were unknown. They are my first pumilios.