Dart Den

Full Version: Fungus in viv...what to do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As the temperatures have cooled one of my vivs has experienced an outbreak of what look like a fungus. All my vivs use the same design, planting, misting, venting and lighting, but this is the only one effected. I am contemplating complete removal of the erected plants but I thought I would check to see if anyone had ideas on treating in place.

Ideas? Thanks!

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
Jim I would leave it alone, have seen it happen before in a new viv, you can reduce some of the misting or leave it alone to "settle in." I would seed the viv with isos and springtails, I do this with new vivs and seems to reduce the mold.
Thanks Beth. The curious thing is this viv is about 6 months old and this stuff looks different than the mold I typically saw within the first month. This is thicker and forms mats that seem to be growing out from a central point. It's a dense fibrous white, not hairy like I had seen before. This is new (last two weeks or so) and seemed to correlate to a general drop in temp. I did add extra springs about a week ago but this stuff is taking off. Maybe I'll add a temporary circulation fan. I still may go ahead and cut it out...I hate the way it looks and it's starting to creep up the background. Sad