Dart Den

Full Version: Any doofus-proof orchids?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm looking for orchids that don't really need much care, ones that won't mind terribly if they're just left in the back of the viv to do their thing. I won't mist them, but they may end up damp. Also, there's no circulation in there at the moment. Used to be a rigged computer fan in there, but the wires all got yanked out when the cat jumped on the power cable. Are there any orchids that are okay with that? I don't actually mind if they don't really bloom, I just like how the leaves look.
I 'suck' at Orchids, and you'd think I would 'know better' living in FL an' all....but...there are a lot of cheaper orchids, that are large and common. I would just buy the cheaper ones and toss em' in. If they take, they take...if not...meh. That pretty much sums up my planting mantra too. Heh.
I can get cheap ones at Home Depot, but I don't really like it when they just all die off. They usually have moth orchids... I could probably look for smaller ones and put them higher up, though it's an 18" square and doesn't have much room for the foot-wide moths they usually have.
Phalaenopsis generally like lower light levels and drier conditions than are found in our vivs. Pleurothallus and bulbophyllum do better for me. There are also some dendrobium and a couple of laelia that stay small enough and do well with the light and moisture levels we have, although they tend to cost $15-30+.