Dart Den

Full Version: FF cultures molding over
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just had a recent FF culture crash and while cleaning them out, saw a mold growing over the media. I normally add a tea spoon of vinegar to my cultures to fight mites and possibly mold but am not sure why my cultures molded over. Ive never had this problem
What is your media composition? Ingredients or commercial mix?

What type of container...glass or plastic? What size? What type of lid?

Anything else added, like excelsior or paper ect?
Media consists of potato flakes, powdered sugar, and a bit of yeast. I buy it from a local frogger in florida. I use 16 oz plastic deli cups with the breathable lids (holes in it with a coffee filter on it) and i use excelsior
Sometimes excelsior is the culprit. It's basically wood, and as such, can develope mold spores if stored in damp places ect.

Mold is common on older,less active cx's. I only get nervous if the black mold appears on fresh cultures. Maybe add a little bit more vinegar or try some cinnamon. Just gotta experiment a little.
Yeah i may even microwave excelsior to kill possible mold spores. And ive never heard of using cinnamon before