Dart Den

Full Version: Mold in frog tank
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, so I have different molds in my vivarium and I want to know what's safe and what's not. I have grape wood in there and it has white mold, green mold, and now there appears to be a slimy red mold. The frogs seem fine and the mold has been there for a while. Although the red mold just appeared. Will these molds be harmful to my azureus?
I believe most of the mold will be consumed by your micro fauna, the red slimy mold never seen before in a Viv only in reef tanks. Pics would be helpful, some other members might provide you with some more insight.
I'm no expert on molds but all different colours are possible. I have yet to hear about mold 'poisoning' frogs. You can wipe it a little with some papertowels or even take the wood out and boil it. When I see mold near the substrate, I just shovel some 'dirt' over top of it and carry on. Mold will peter-out and cease to grow in a short time on it's own.

I would not worry about it.
Grape wood is very prone to mold and tends to keep molding longer than other wood choices. It will also not last very long in the damp conditions of a frog vivarium. There are some better, longer lasting choices that include ghost wood, Malaysian driftwood and Swahala wood among others. Generally speaking, the harder the wood, the more suitable for a wet environment.
How long does it usually take for grape wood to rot. It is the main part of my vivarium and I have a few bromeliads siliconed to it. I would like to leave it in as long as possible. thanks.
It will still take a long time even under direct water /wet conditions. Years and years.
Alright good to know. Thanks a lot for the help.