Dart Den

Full Version: silicone GE II - Safe ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

lana

We just got our terrarium done about an hour or so ago and now we read that it might not be safe for our frogs because we used the GE silicone ll as it might have mold inhibitors Cry . It is a 30 gallon in 2 sections with 2 waterfalls and for our first try, it turned out beautiful. Anyone have any suggestions ?
yeah, check the tube you used and look for the word "BioSeal". if it doesn't say it has bioseal, you are fine. the product used to not have it and was viv safe. if you were unlucky enough to get a newer tube with bioseal, i would start over and count yourself lucky to have caught it in time.

lana

Hey Mac
Thank you that made my day. We just finished our tank and we used 2 of the 3 and the third tube was 1 we bought as an extra and we luckly didn't use it cause it was the only one to have the Bioseal in it.So THANK YOU again we got lucky.

Lana
don't you love it when the universe cuts you some slack?!

Jakejrt

This is the first I've read about this issure with GE silicon II. Last week I built a 29 gal viv and used this product for coating the glass prior to applying foam, and then again for applying coco fiber on the foam. After reading this, I ran out to the trash and found that all three tubes that I used have the 'bioseal' label on them.

Does anyone know what the exact ramifications of using this will be?

Redmaw

I'm not sure if the thread was on this forum or another I visit, but the general consensus was it didn't matter. The ingredients for the "old" Silicon 2 and the "new" silicon 2 with bioseal are the exact same. It's just a marketing ploy apparently. It's always been in there. Other people are using the one with bioseal and haven't seen any adverse effects as of yet. Again though, this is what I've "read on the internet", so take it for what it's worth.

basshummper

Redmaw Wrote:I'm not sure if the thread was on this forum or another I visit, but the general consensus was it didn't matter. The ingredients for the "old" Silicon 2 and the "new" silicon 2 with bioseal are the exact same. It's just a marketing ploy apparently. It's always been in there. Other people are using the one with bioseal and haven't seen any adverse effects as of yet. Again though, this is what I've "read on the internet", so take it for what it's worth.

does anyone know if this is true or not. is silicon 2 still safe to use?