Dart Den

Full Version: FBT skinny
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

OutsidetheBox

Some of my family members moved, and they had a FBT they needed to give away, so I offered to take it. It is incredibly skinny. His ribs almost poke out of his skin, and I am trying to fatten him up, or something.... He tries to catch his food, but after about five minutes of trying to swallow it, he gives up and spits it out and will not try to get it again. The crickets are not to big, he just cannot eat them when their legs are branching out or something.... I asked my cousins and they said that he has looked like this since December (about four months now) and were not worried. He seems to be very weak, snd sometimes he'll try to jump in his enclosure and he will hit the hill funny and roll a little bit, and it will take him quite a few tries before he can roll back over again. If it was parasites, he would have been dead by now, right? And what is it with that Pedialyte bath thing? Should I try it?
hi,
you should call your vet ASAP. they might be able to tell you some pointers or suggest a fecal be done (i would highly suggest this as well). have you given the frog smaller crickets or worms? i know you may think they are small enough, but if he is weak, he may need smaller food. call your vet.
i wish you the best of luck...

OutsidetheBox

Thanks, I'll call him right away. I think it may have been the food was too lively, or something. I've started taking the legs off the crickets before I give them to him, and he has responded very well to that. I still think I'll get a fecal, though, just to be sure. It might be his age, because he turns nine in June, but I still want to be sure he's as healthy as can be.

dendromom

OutsidetheBox Wrote:Some of my family members moved, and they had a FBT they needed to give away, so I offered to take it. It is incredibly skinny. His ribs almost poke out of his skin, and I am trying to fatten him up, or something.... He tries to catch his food, but after about five minutes of trying to swallow it, he gives up and spits it out and will not try to get it again. The crickets are not to big, he just cannot eat them when their legs are branching out or something.... I asked my cousins and they said that he has looked like this since December (about four months now) and were not worried. He seems to be very weak, snd sometimes he'll try to jump in his enclosure and he will hit the hill funny and roll a little bit, and it will take him quite a few tries before he can roll back over again. If it was parasites, he would have been dead by now, right? And what is it with that Pedialyte bath thing? Should I try it?

It almost sounds like symptoms of chytrid fungal infection with the behavioral problems like that. If anyone else has similar symptoms, check the underside of the frog to see if its pink in places or if there are there skin abnormalities. Sometimes it is stress---other times it is chytrid, which can kill without manifesting obvious symptoms besides the ones above.