Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Softented Water ok for the Viv ?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Softented Water ok for the Viv ?
I'm constructing a Frog room and will be installing an RO system. I can set the RO supply from my softened water source - easiest install since the source is in the same location - OR - I can run unsoftened (before the softener) but that will take a little maneuvering to get that source to the RO system. Painful fishing through wall.

Does anyone have any worries about softened water for the frogs and plants?

Also, I know there is a debate re: RO water with the frogs...I've seen setups that use RO and there are no issues.

Thanks,
Dave
Hi Dave,
water softeners will leave trace amounts of salt in the water, the RO unit will remove this and anything else that is left behind by the water softener.

I don't know if the trace amounts of salt will have any affect on the RO membrane, might be worth emailing Kent Marine to ask them about the affects on the membrane.

The frogs and plants will not have any problems with the RO water, softened water I don't know about.
Cindy Dicken Wrote:Hi Dave,
water softeners will leave trace amounts of salt in the water, the RO unit will remove this and anything else that is left behind by the water softener.

I don't know if the trace amounts of salt will have any affect on the RO membrane, might be worth emailing Kent Marine to ask them about the affects on the membrane.

The frogs and plants will not have any problems with the RO water, softened water I don't know about.

I think you're saying that the RO will remove the trace sodium from the softener, right? This would be so much more convenient!

Thanks in advance...
Dave
Yes Dave,
the RO should remove the trace amounts of sodium.
But I don't know how this will affect the RO membrane.
Cindy Dicken Wrote:Yes Dave,
the RO shuld remove the trace amounts of sodium.
But I don't know how this will affect the RO membrane.

The RO system is acutally taxed less with the softener...in fact, they recommend softeners as the source for the RO system.

This is good news.
Is this what the RO manufacter recommended?
Cindy Dicken Wrote:Is this what the RO manufacter recommended?

The RO mfg recommends softened water to prolong the life of the RO filters...They also sell meters for about $50 that will tell you when to change the filters.

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020