Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Starting Out as a Newbie - please use the Search Key
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting Out as a Newbie - please use the Search Key
Hi and welcome to all newbies to the hobby.

I would like to take a little bit of time here to give the best advice I can to newbies. This Dart forum is a great venue for learning helpful tips about everything from food stuffs, health issues, quarantine, mixing issues, viv construction, mixing species, quarantine, vitamin dusting, calcium requirements, minimum viv sizes, lighting, misting, mixing species, film cans or coco huts for egg laying, pumilio morphs, quarantine, ect., but you must take advantage of the tools offered by the forum. One of the biggest aids offered by forums is the "SEARCH" key. Many of the more experienced Dart froggers who offer tips will only answer certain questions so many times before a post falls on deaf ears. I know for a fact there are quite a few very informative posts by a number of experienced froggers here , and on other forums, nestled away waiting to be delved into. Each and every one of the above topics , along with thousand s more topics, have been covered here in-depth and I would suggest searching and then adding to those posts when questions or comments arise , instead of starting threads that may have been discussed only weeks, or in some cases days ago.

Again, welcome and use that "SEARCH" key.

Rich
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
Something else I would like to add. I pretty much refuse to answer any questions here by newbies to the forum who have not introduced themselves. And I don't mean "Hi this is jeb from newbraska" The main reason for this is the somewhat recent issues with a "member" who changed his username multiple times and lied about it ( and several other issues) to eveyone here on the forum. This person was rightfully banned from this forum. The member is from Appleton WI and there just happens to be a couple "new members" who recently signed up with IP addresses from the huge metropolis of Appleton WI. Coincidence? I think not.
We have a nice little thing here. No need to pander to trolls.

Rich
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
Good Luck!
^^??
Great way to get help......

Well, sorry for such a short post but I figured I'm new to dart frogs but not to forums. You seem rather experienced with this forum and dart frogs in general, but "good luck" to get newbies not to post wildly when they could easily read Q and As, also "good luck" in finding that guy because I definately don't want to get inaccurate info. from anybody.
Thank you for the information. I am new to forums totally. There is a ton of information here, so I keep reading and reading, but I didn't know about the search feature. Well, it is right there on top, but I didn't notice. I also didn't know to introduce myself. Sorry about that. I'm a fourth-grade teacher in Central New York. I've had lots of critters in my classroom through the years, everything from Bearded Dragons to fish, turtles, salamanders, treefrogs, hermit crabs and even seahorses. I've been wanting to get poison dart frogs for a couple of years now and this is the year. I have been researching frantically this summer. I have a couple of books, but the internet has been much more helpful. Truth is I had a pair of very friendly bearded dragons at school that I had to give away. The fire inspector never did trust that heat lamp. The dart frogs should be okay because there is not a heat lamp. They don't have a problem with aquarium type lights. I just think it would be such a neat project for my students. I teach all the Science and Math for fourth grade and my partner teaches the Reading, writing and Social Studies. I have a 20g long tank that I can use. I'll just need to have a piece of glass cut for the top. Other than that, I've been searching for ideas. I think I will go with the false bottom for the tank, as I'll have to move it every summer! I would also like to try the foam background. I wish I had known some of this information when I had terrariums before. At least I know how to culture fruit flies! I did that for my salamanders and tree frogs. I didn't mind it at all compared to crickets (which are smelly). Well, I have rambled enough for now. Thanks for all the help on this site. It is fantastic!!!

Frances
Didn't really see a section for introductions, but figured I might as well introduce myself. I am no newbie to the forums as I have been lurking for quite some time now. I have a love of amphibians, and have kept many different animals in my short life.

I am 25 now. I have owned the following animals to dateBig Grin

3 iguanas (lived forever and got up to around 4 1/2 feet or more)
hermit crabs
chinchilla - awesome pet
Prairie dog
burmese python
(i know I am forgetting one or two...)

I currently own a Pacman frog and love him to deathTongue he is about 2 years old now and doing very well.

I forgot to mention that my name is Jason and I am live in Columbia Sc right now, and will be moving to either austin or houston within the year.

I have a passion and love for amphibians and reptiles, and have been searching for the perfect one for years, and dendrobates have caught my eye. I love to showcase and spend time with my animals, but not neccesarily spend time holding them, so amphibians work out great for me.

I do not have the money, or space right now to start in the hobby, but I have been studying and reading the forums for well over a year now and still love the little boogers. My ambitions for the hobby are to start slowly and eventually mantain a large collection and help establish some bloodlines and be a proactive member of the community.
I do not want to make a living with dart frogs or anything of that nature. I have very high ambitions, but will be just as happy with a few tanks in my house if I never get up to the status I would like to achive to help the hobby.

I enjoy reading all your post Dr. Frye and respect all of your opinions and just want to thank you for being such a great help to the community of froggers. I think you are awesome, and you take beautiful photos of your frogs that are absolutely georgeous (just a plus!! LOL)
Hello All I am very new to this hobby even though I have wanted dart frogs for more than 20 years. I got my first 6 about a month ago and really think they are a wonder of art in living form. I have found them to be some of the most beautiful creatures I have ever owned. Now here lies the problem I think. I keep seeing new morphs coming out and even though I have been told this is bad I don't understand why? I have raised birds and that was always the new goal to create new lines. All that being said I have learned the six frogs I have are morphs of the standard green and black and blue and black making mine blue-green and black or tourquoise and black. I think they are far prettier that both parents. So what is wrong with my frogs? If they are healthy and very nice looking seems like I have a new morph? So what is wrong with new morphs? I like I said am really new to this and want to start breeding them so see what I can create. I have thus far seen some remarkable specimens that are morphs. Please reply and don't try to rip my head off as I am currious to see and venture into this hobby full speed ahead.
As I stated in the previous message I am new to dart frogs but not new to the pet industry. I have one of the very rare Cinnamon-Violet hen that is breeding age and I would entertain a trade for dart frogs. I belive in helping new folks in the hobby and when I figured out how to create this mutation I went to the chat boards and told people how to do it. I know of a man that when first created got $25,000.00 for one of these beauties and I helped drive the price way down so more people could afford them. I am out of the birds because it is incredible how many people will lie and fight to run down other breeders stock just to sell their own. As for my bird all you need is a cinnamon-blue cock about 3 years old and you can produce blues, cinnamon-blues, violets, and cinnamon-violets. 2 of these birds are more than $1000.00 a baby. So if you want to dabble in birds here is your chance. Let me know what you have to trade and how many you are willing to trade and we can move forward. I need no cash in the deal but I want to make a pretty fair trade. Example if I want $800.00 for her then I want $800.00 worth of frogs. I prefer breeding pairs but will except young in numbers where I can get some pairs. As stated I am very new to the frogs so try to get me something that I can work with that won't fight to the death when I put them together. Let me know and thanks for your interest.
"goldman 1959",
I have to ask if this is an attempt at humor, trolling, or something of the sort? If it is not, did you read my posts here?

Well, after doing a quick little bit of research, I find that it seems you are not necessarily a troll goldman1959.
But you really do need to do a lot of searching before you buy your next frogs. There is a lot of information you will need before you go any further. And many froggers , like myself for one, will not sell to those who are not ready. Or to people we do not know at all...
And buying "retail" as you mention in your other thread, can be one of the biggest mistakes made. Many of those businesses know absolutely nothing about darts.

Rich

RichFrye Wrote:Well, after doing a quick little bit of research, I find that it seems you are not necessarily a troll goldman1959.
But you really do need to do a lot of searching before you buy your next frogs. There is a lot of information you will need before you go any further. And many froggers , like myself for one, will not sell to those who are not ready. Or to people we do not know at all...
And buying "retail" as you mention in your other thread, can be one of the biggest mistakes made. Many of those businesses know absolutely nothing about darts.

Rich
I try to be fair and my frogs are doing great. I have bought a few books and do go to online places where I can find information. I think the frogs are much easier and surely much more quiet to raise than the birds. I for one will continue to try to aquire them and see what I can do with them. I really love to look at them and can't help but wonder how God with wild on some of the paint jobs. But the frogs are very beautiful and I am falling in love with the hobby very fast.
You, goldman1959 (I have stated above that it is a good idea to introduce yourself so we know who it is we a talking to/trying to help out) are not ready for more darts if you do not know the reasons why the hobby finds it unacceptable to mix species or morphs.
Did you utilize the "SEARCH" function and find out why this is?
There are tons of things to check into and learn with darts and you seem to be going full on into a crash. I have seen this type of action before and it does not end well.
If your mixed species tanks produce yet more hybrids please cull and do not release these into a relatively pure hobby goldman1959. "New Morphs" do not keep "coming out". Creating hybrids is very, very much looked down upon in the hobby. Search "mixing" and "hybrids" for facts.
Six months is a very short period of time to use as a yardstick. These frogs can live to be decades old and what you think may be "doing great" may turn bad fast.
Have you quarantined your frogs? Were your frogs tested for disease? Again, many parasites and disease take longer than asix months to show...

RichFrye Wrote:You, goldman1959 (I have stated above that it is a good idea to introduce yourself so we know who it is we a talking to/trying to help out) are not ready for more darts if you do not know the reasons why the hobby finds it unacceptable to mix species or morphs.
Did you utilize the "SEARCH" function and find out why this is?
There are tons of things to check into and learn with darts and you seem to be going full on into a crash. I have seen this type of action before and it does not end well.
If your mixed species tanks produce yet more hybrids please cull and do not release these into a relatively pure hobby goldman1959. "New Morphs" do not keep "coming out". Creating hybrids is very, very much looked down upon in the hobby. Search "mixing" and "hybrids" for facts.
Six months is a very short period of time to use as a yardstick. These frogs can live to be decades old and what you think may be "doing great" may turn bad fast.
Have you quarantined your frogs? Were your frogs tested for disease? Again, many parasites and disease take longer than asix months to show...
Okay first my name is Charles Adams and I live in Katy, TX Second I do not intend to cross-breed my frogs. I only want tanks of the same species and keep them pure. As I stated in a previous I bought them in Houston and did not know what I was buying. It wasn't until after I bought them and went back that I was told they were cross-bred frogs and that if they had known they were cross-bred they would have destroyed them. That did not on the reverse side help him to give back my $300.00 that he charged me and I am stuck with the first 6 frogs. I don't want to kill them and I won't mix them with anything else. I only want to buy pairs or groups of the same species and keep them in separate tanks. I don't know how we got on this wrong side of thinking. I have watched dart frog for years and in a sense always wanted them but did not know where to get them then someone told me of the place I got them and when I seen them I decided to give it a shot. Like I said they are too beautiful to destroy and by what I am reading I got screwed on the deal but I am the one out $300.00 on one foot but on the other I am not as like I said they are very beautiful. I was asking what was wrong with morphs since I have been reading and seeing them I didn't say I was going to buy lots of different species and see what I could create I was just curious. Now I hope this kind of straightens some of the confusion out. I only want to create good stock from good stock now play God with genetics. I did it with the birds as that was that market and everyone wanted the new stuff but too much bashing and I got tired of it and wanted to go this route. I would be happy to get you a number to speak with you over this matter. I am not a bad person nor am I looking for any trouble or to make enemies. I really do hope this clears up some of this and hope to hear back from you soon.
I'm not saying anyone is a bad person. Or looking for trouble. Just not quite ready for new frogs. Not all my questions were answered though.
Did you quarantine? Did you test? If the answer to these questions is no, then you do in-fact have much reading to do before going on.
This is the exact stuff I started this whole thread about...the need for research before buying frogs.

RichFrye Wrote:I'm not saying anyone is a bad person. Or looking for trouble. Just not quite ready for new frogs. Not all my questions were answered though.
Did you quarantine? Did you test? If the answer to these questions is no, then you do in-fact have much reading to do before going on.
This is the exact stuff I started this whole thread about...the need for research before buying frogs.
I guess I should have never posted in this place. First I don't have mixed tanks, Second I bought them all from the same place and put them together in their own tank. Third they came from a very respected place known by many. Why they didn't destroy them is unknown and why they sold them to me and then tell me they were mixed and not give me my money back is also unknown. Now I have raised some form of animals, reptiles, or birds for more than 30 years and I am not stopping now. If you don't want to do anything but accuse me of cross-breeding frogs then so be it. I will get my stock elsewhere and leave this place. If on the other hand you want to help that is fine too. I as stated bought them / got screwed buying them and I am not going to mix them with other frogs. I am going to keep them together until they die. I am not going to kill them for any reason. If you expect me to destroy them, well that is not going to happen as well. As far as anything else I guess I will just exit this system and move on down the road and continue to read what I can find on the internet and buy what books I can find. Good luck and have a great one.
My opening posts are that new people read and research before buying. That stands.

hi, names andy. working on my two posts so i can start a new topic. have a strong back ground with freshwater fish and am going to be starting a terrarium soon. i have been going around the site getting tips and ideas for a little bit. i was wondering how often do the foam/cork instillations have to be replaced if ever. thanks, will be posting as i move along with the project. will probably be a 30 gallon long river tank that will house a pdf when everything is stable..
^ Hi Andy,
I have never had to replace one yet.

Rich

Smile Hey Rich good to see ya here. If i have I any ?'s ill be sure to ask you! Lol *wink*

Sam

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020