Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

OK I am new so dont get mad at me
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OK I am new so dont get mad at me
Ok well I am still vary new to all this and dont even have any frogs yet and was wondering what kind should I get? I live in central Oregon so it gets HOT in the summers and COLD in the wenters! I Have a 10 gal and a 20 gal what should I use should I use the 10 gal for starters or just go with the 20 gal so I dont have to upgrade later and what type of frog would you recomend I was wanting somthing that could be in a nice wet tropical little place I have seen pictures of those kind and think that there AWSOME!!!! sorry for the long post THANKS in advanced!!!!!

Thanks! :lol: Big Grin
i would go with the twenty just so you have more room. i have a 30 gal with three auratus. they are a little shy but they are on of the best beginner frogs.

Attached Files

.jpg   IMG_0518.JPG (Size: 1.18 KB / Downloads: 1,391)
that picture Looks great! how do you get the fog and how do you keep it in just that area? and "auratus" are they the green and black ones? and just wondering is the "Dendrobates azureus " a good one because I was wanting one of them so just wondering if they are a good one to get. thanks!!!!

Thanks!
Azureus are good beginner frogs, but they're a little more expensive than auratus.
gravity seems to keep the fog in the pond. and they are actually blue and black. the ultrasonic fogger works pretty good to cut down on misting.
here is a pic

Attached Files

.jpg   IMG_0496.JPG (Size: 1.18 KB / Downloads: 1,387)
Quote:Ok well I am still vary new to all this and dont even have any frogs yet and was wondering what kind should I get?

OK, now to answer your question directly. There are 4-5 species of dart frogs that are widely accepted as appropriate for beginners. As all things in life, each species has its pros and cons so you will ultimately have to make the decision yourself.

First, Do your research and pick a species you are interested in, ask lots of questions, set up your vivarium, stabilize your heat and figure out your plant compatibility and lighting requirements, start your insect cultures, and finally find a reputable breeder. After all this is in-order, you can then go out and purchase your frog(s).

The following species can be considered when starting out in this hobby:

D. auratus
D. leucomelas
P. terribilis
D. ventrimaculatus
D. tinctorius
D. azureus

If you would like more information on any of these species (or others) please feel free to send me a PM or post your question here and we will be happy to answer them.

Have Fun!!
Rob

E. anthonyi, D. imitator, C. azureiventris, D. amazonicus, D. lamasi (pan & pan gl), P. aurotaenia, D. variabilis, D. quinquevittatus, D. reticulatus, D. matecho, D. pumilio cauchero & escudos

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020