Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

What is the farthest F generation ?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the farthest F generation ?
What is the farthest F generation that you would be willing to buy ? Does any of that matter to you ? Just looking for some clarity on what everyone thinks.
I've never heard of an F5 Dart Frog.....I'm sure a Tinc or Leuc exists though.

As long as it came from the right, reputable source....I'd by a high F generation frog. Sure.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
I know theve been passed f5 and there are more than you think out there as people seem to buy related offspring for breeding purposes. Why though is the question, is there really any reason to be breeding these frogs to that point? I saw someone actively proud they were breeding out f3 nominate imi's which there is no reason for as they have come in in numbers far greater than whats needed to setup an indefinite breeding line of unrelateds.

Michael
Everyday I meet someone I dislike, are you today's pick? If you dislike me it's because somethings wrong with you!

Don't Be A Hybridiot!
Is it that cut and dry Mike? I know for the one you mentioned it is(R. imitator).

I mean take R. flavovittata which from what I understand all come from UE how would one go about finding a frog that is unrelated outside of MP and getting into who he sold what to? I know at some point I will want to find unrelated blood for that species if I can? In that situation and others money is no issue which I think with some that can be a barrier.

I mean as far as my varadero goes I know I can get unrelated blood and know where to go for that. I personally will be looking for unrelated blood for all my frogs in what ever species I keep not necessarily to breed out right but in case of breeding....Which I plan to do everything right so hopefully in the end breeding will occur....I know for me I prefer getting the least F gen as possible and go for unrelated blood if at all possible in the hobby. MY 2 cents.
In most cases these frogs have come in by the dozens or more. That said there are exceptions and we have to do what we have to do to keep the species in the hobby. I dont think anything coming out of UE is rare enough to the point they dont have multiple unrelated pairs or groups but who knows. Can they be bred to f5 and beyond without any issues, yes. would there be health issues I guess it would be more determined by husbandry over inbreeding from what Ive seen up to the f5 range. I guess the most valid issue would be demand that pushes this, I personally could bring in two unrelated pairs and wouldnt even need to cross the lines for as many as 20 yrs but it would not help the demand.

Michael
Everyday I meet someone I dislike, are you today's pick? If you dislike me it's because somethings wrong with you!

Don't Be A Hybridiot!

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020