Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Viv building - raf
Hi all,

I'm new to dartden. I always seek new forums to see how people build their viv.
The comments I get help in improving my way of building.
I'm a non-english speaking person so if I make stupid mistakes please ignore them :wink:

I think it doesn't hurt to post my viv here (from juli 2010). I noticed Grimm posting here as well.
He did a great job using and improving this (original the Witberg-method - he deserves the credits) type of building.

I start with the root system - built with pvc tubing and rope:
[Image: opbouw.jpg]

Covering up everything with a mixture of compaktuna (sika, flevopol - an acrylic concrete binder), peat and water.
You need a lot of (thin) layers. It's difficult to get the whole structure covered so you can finish off with silicon with peat pressed into.
[Image: wortels.jpg]
[Image: wortels4.jpg]

It's easier to make everything outside the viv and place it in afterwards.
I made the whole background this way:
[Image: overzicht_totaal1.jpg]
[Image: detail12.jpg]
[Image: detail13.jpg]

I let it dry for a few weeks and than the fun part (planting) begins:
[Image: overzicht051010.jpg]

After a year:
[Image: 030711.jpg]
[Image: 060711.jpg]

A Hd video of the viv:

You should try it! It's not that difficult.
Glad you joined us, and thanks for sharing your build.
It's wonderful Raf, love the detail.
Including an updated picture speaks
volumes for the initial build.
Very impressive !

Welcome to Dart Den. I think you'll like it here.

You missed a photo of this step in your build would be interesting to see a couple pics of this part:

Applying the compaktuna (sika, flevopol - an acrylic concrete binder)

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
I don't have 'action' pics of the building in progress. It's such a mess when applying the compaktuna and I don't like breaking my camera.
I do have pictures of the vine making in progress:

[Image: 01.jpg]
[Image: 02.jpg]
[Image: 03.jpg]
[Image: 05.jpg]
[Image: 06.jpg]
[Image: 08.jpg]
[Image: 09.jpg]
One of my all time faves! Welcome aboard!
I didn't realize the over all size of the vivarium until I seen the planted pics. Very well constructed! Truly a beautifully done viv. I am curious as to the lucky inhabitants of this?
"He that is slow to believe anything and everything is of great understanding, for belief in one false principle is the beginning of all unwisdom" LaVey
At the moment I have tricolors, leucomelas, ventri's and 1 lepidodactylus lugubris in the viv.
I planned on removing the tricolors but they breed like hell so the water is full of tadpoles. It's easy to miss one and before you know there are new frogs inside. And they are difficult to catch.
The viv is big enough so it isn't really a problem combining these frogs.
How big is the Viv ? Dimensions ?

As big as it is.....try to find long clear plastic rigid tubes to catch frogs.

Here in the U.S , the sell a 4 foot clear rigid tube for protecting fluorescent light bulbs (T-12 thick bulbs) and it is IDEAL for sneaking up on and catching frogs. The 4 foot length would be great for a big, deep viv, like yours.

Clear plastic tubes = catches frogs like crazy. They never see it coming until you "tube them".

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Thanks for the tip Philsuma. Never tried it.
The dimensions are 185cm (72")L x 50cm (19,7")D x 100cm (40")H - (240 gallons?)
Status on Sep 24th:
[Image: 240911.jpg]
Lovely !

8 Misting nozzles ?

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Yep 8 misting nozzles. My pump doesn't allow more nozzles otherwise I would use even more to cover the whole background.
I stumbled across this on youtube I think. Absolutely incredible! this is what I will try to do with my 65 gallon this winter.
I just love this viv! Very nice Raf, thanks for posting it.
In central NY

R. Imitator 'Cainarachi Valley' 2.3.0
R. Imitator 'Cainarachi Valley' Froglets 8 and counting.
Just wondering how you apply the silicone to everything for the compaktuna
Sorry been away a lot lately so I forgot to answer your question.
I put the silicon on the background and branches by hand. A lot of messy work but easy enough.
The compaktuna mix is a bit better (visually).
We look at a lot of vivs for inspiration Raf your work is one of the best we have ever seen,thankyou
welcome to the den
Stu& Shaz
This is probably one of my top 5 of all time. Awesome job and a true inspiration for many of us.
I wish we had a suitable product here, more of a match to the "flevopol" you guys over there use. The "concrete binder" we have here doesn't hold up over time, it gets mushy and crumbles over time. I've tried it now 4 times, each a little different, all with the same results. Your Viv is spectacular.
1.5 kids and a bunch of frogs
You can use epoxy. It's better for this purpose.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)