Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coco Fiber question
Hey guys! As some of you know, I'm starting construction on my viv and am doing it the foam-backed way according black jungle. I've made great progress, but have a question...

I rehydrated some coco fiber and for some reason i CANNOT get it to dry out! I've had it spread out with a fan on it for HOURS and HOURS and it's still cool and damp!

This may be a silly question, but does it have to be TOTALLY dry to adhere to the silicone? And if so, any suggestions on how I can speed this process up? My A.D.D. is already giving me enough problems with this looooong construction process! LOL

Thanks guys!

Jason
put it in the oven, on a backing sheet or in a roasting pan put the oven on 250 and leave it in there for a while stir it every 5 or 10 minutes untl it's dry. it wont stick if not totally dry.
Wow, Paul! Great suggestion... Thank you so much!

PGB Wrote:put it in the oven, on a backing sheet or in a roasting pan put the oven on 250 and leave it in there for a while stir it every 5 or 10 minutes untl it's dry. it wont stick if not totally dry.
No problem forgive my spelling and typing doing 5 things at once
Just in case anyone else reads this and needs a tip, I've found that the shallower your fiber is, the better, obviously...

Oh, and I also found that upping the temp to 300 and cracking the oven door made it go a little faster...

Added bonus: my kitchen smells like roasting coffee!

Jason
takes more steps if it's shallow i use a 3 inch deep pan and just stir it around. but your right it does smell some what like roasting coffee.
Is there any cons to using peat moss in this method?
I've use peat moss once or twice and it works the same so i guess it's just personal preferance.

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020