Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Pics - Getting the yellow's correct ?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pics - Getting the yellow's correct ?
Can i have some tips please on getting the yellows not washed out on our frog shots,camera cannon eos 550 ,i think the same as your T2i rebel or similar at least.
I know i need to do some homework but thought it is such a common problem especially on tincs that this one could be useful to many
thanks and regards
Stu
how do you process the shots? Do you upload the pictures directly from the camera. are you using the raw setting? Do you use any software to edit the images? I can give you tips but I need some details.
mordoria Wrote:how do you process the shots? Do you upload the pictures directly from the camera. are you using the raw setting? Do you use any software to edit the images? I can give you tips but I need some details.
hey mate, the shots you see on our threads are with one exception exactly as i took them,i have messed with editing sorftware that came with the camera once,basically time is part of this.
When actually taking pictures,i'm almost using the camera as a point and shoot which is unforgivable really on a device of good quality,i sometimes manual focus,so treat me as a complete beginner,ie nothing will be patronising in what you say.
I have no other software other than the programmes i loaded,with the camera,but my initial thoughts were that i should start as the beginning,and be thinking about camera settings,thus giving me the best possible raw shot to start with.
There is no denying the ability of the camera,people are always saying kind stuff about the pictures,and it enables me to compensate for my lack of abitly with words,and get my point across oftentimes,but it would be great to up the anti a bit,
thankyou for the reply,anything you can advise would be wonderful
regards
Stu
Wel, theres many different ways to mess with colors in software. To take the best picture BEFORE you process it, I would use the cameras AV setting, instead of P (assuming u use a Canon). The AV setting allows u to prioritize the "focus falloff". Thats important bc you want to see the frog, front and strong, and not the usually cluttered background. Once the camera is in AV mode, u can set the fstop (or aperature) to a 4, 3.5 or a 2.8 (depending on the lens). Stu, if u give me exact info (camera type, lens) I can help u more by giving you exact details.
BTW I love your new mysterousis . Wish we could get those here in the states.
mordoria Wrote:Wel, theres many different ways to mess with colors in software. To take the best picture BEFORE you process it, I would use the cameras AV setting, instead of P (assuming u use a Canon). The AV setting allows u to prioritize the "focus falloff". Thats important bc you want to see the frog, front and strong, and not the usually cluttered background. Once the camera is in AV mode, u can set the fstop (or aperature) to a 4, 3.5 or a 2.8 (depending on the lens). Stu, if u give me exact info (camera type, lens) I can help u more by giving you exact details.
BTW I love your new mysterousis . Wish we could get those here in the states.
Mate first up i need your name,second thanks so much for the help,very greatful,3rd its a cannon EOS 550d i believe same as your t2i rebel,but i could be wrong used with 2 stock kit EF lenses,( NOT EOS Stu dummy!!!!!)18-55 and 55-250
As far as the Mysties go mate i wish you could come here and see little baby mystie froglets,within 2 weeks they are carbon copies of the adults but just so so cute.I wish that there could be a line drawn under these,there are so many about now,if you look on our forum dendroworld there have been 2 lots offered in the last few days. My biggest wish would be that breeders of these all over give back to Peru,or to projects related to these frogs so that their future in the wild will be secured, i have to as a beginner rear them yet,to a stage where i can start to do my tiny bit,and i guess someone will want to tear into me for even keeping them, i wish things were different and folks could be realistic about this situation,just think what we dart keepers could do as a hobby by donating some of our bucks to a country like peru to help these frogs,that seem to do so well in captivity and are having such a hard time at home,i too wish we all could experiance the joy of these guys,what they look like is just a fragment of what they are to live with,you can probably tell i adore them,their wild cousins are equally important to me
i repeat thanks for the help
regards

Stu
Hi Stu Wink

An easy way to correct your "yellows" (according to what I understand from your post/request) would be to fine tune your "white balance". You should have on your 550D a way to manualy set the "K" (K for for Kelvin ... not Krakanax!!!).

You need to do a bunch of test with different values (for the K) and see what it looks like.
Give it a value of 3000K, 3500K, 4000K and see what comes up... In the end you will fing the right value.
It could be 3100K, 3200K, 4200K ...! Your pick.

When you get the right value, that you don't have the yollowish tone anymore, you can keep it in memory for your terrarium pics ... if they all have the same lighting / kelvin set up.

You probably have an "AWB" setting (Automatic White Balance"), a "Tungstene" setting, a "fluorescent" setting, a "day light" setting ... and a "K" setting that allows you to pick your own température color. That's the one which will work best in this kinda situation.
All of those settings are in the "Menu" under "Custom White Balance".

[Image: Z_0043.jpg]

If you need more information, let me know Wink

K.

ps: I am answering to an old post, may be you already have the answer Wink
Antionne,
damn i hope i spelt your name correctly :oops: ,what can I say to thank you for the time you have put in to making this such a complete and wonderful answer.Not words that is for sure Thank you for this.one of the best answers to a question i've had and very much worth waiting for. Sorry for the slow reply,as always froggers get busy with froggy things and don't spend so much time reading and learning,or using my camera even.
But i'll experiment with your wisdom there is always more to learn,and although folks say kind words about the pictures,I know there is so much more knowledge for me to aquire to improve the images in their initial state,which is my goal.

thanks again my friend a fabulous post
best

Stu

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020