Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Background issues
So, the BG I used is the Zoo Med Tiles says cork, and the front is regular looking bark. Doesn't look like the bark on the cork rounds...

Anyway, we siliconed them to the back wall. It was a nice tight fit, so we couldn't see the joint, and I didn't think about the possibility of swelling, which did happen. :roll: The tiles bowed out from the wall and detached from the silicone in the center.
So, I have trimmed along the joint of the two tiles I used, and it now lays flat on the BG again.

My question is - can I put silicone behind it and just re-stick it down, or will the silicone not adhere to it's self? The original silicone is still on the back glass. The tiles are moist of course, since I've been misting every day for the plants.
The whole thing is set up with the plants freshly planted and stapled to the BG to train them there. If there is any way on earth that will work to re-stick the tiles without tearing it all apart, I would love to hear it! Gorilla glue?
Lisa
In central NY

R. Imitator 'Cainarachi Valley' 2.3.0
R. Imitator 'Cainarachi Valley' Froglets 8 and counting.
Hi Lisa,

You won't be able to use silicone. It won't adhere to the old silicone. A two part epoxy might work ok for you. You may have to remove the old silicone though. They have some out now that is available at most aquarium retailers. It's at Lowes and HD too, but I would check to make sure it would be safe in a viv.
Glenn
Ugh, I thought I remembered hearing that somewhere Glenn. Guess I may have to tear it all off. If I have to remove the old silicone anyway, then I'll just redo it with silicone once it is cleaned.
Lisa
In central NY

Best of luck, Lisa! Sad
Glenn
Hmm, yeah, I see what you mean. The back of the cork has absorbed enough silicone, that I don't know if re-siliconeing will work.
I also wonder if the silicone is bad... it isn't runny, but for 4 days old I wouldn't think it should make my hands feel sticky when taking it off the cork. It forms a sticky ball, like gum. Any I've taken off before has been flexible, but elastic and bounced back to shape if bent. Of course I've never taken any off that was only 4 days old before. lol
Live and learn.

Still hoping one of you has an awesome solution to this one! Wink Well, even a mediocre solution Big Grin
Lisa
In central NY

I use Amazing Goop http://www.eclecticproducts.com/all_purpose.htm
Get the All Purpose one. They sell it most places, hardware, kmart, target
The only dangerous chem in it according to the MSDS is Toluene, which dissapates as it dries. The 3-4 day dried glue is a non toxic epoxy.
Its non toxic when it dries, stays super clear, and will bond ANY 2 surfaces (in my exp).
it can drip so dont use a ton.
I wouldent use gorilla glue as it expands ALOT when it dries. It would just pop your BG off again.

Id pull the BG, do a square and an X of glue on the back and then reattach. You could use a small 10lb weight, place in the viv at an angle, to rest the weight on the BG and hold it tight.

You can tilt your viv about 25 degress b4 you have to worry about dirt and stuff shifting around. OH! also if its a zoomed/exo top and you havent replaced the screentop yet, you could rip out the screen get an A clamp and glue and clamp the BG. then reattach glass to the top.
Kinda confusing but if you need a better explanation, send me a PM
backgrounds are tough to explain and assist with, as the multiple factors and issues are seldom the same for everyone. Take the cork backed tree panels....sometimes they are well made and do not warp or separate, but other times it seems as if they tend to come apart or otherwise fail.And then it also depends on how deep into the substrate / false bottom and if you have a automatic misting head trained on them....ect ect.

One of the potential frustrating aspects of the hobby to be sure....and we haven't even mentioned kitty litter / clay....
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Philsuma Wrote:One of the potential frustrating aspects of the hobby to be sure....and we haven't even mentioned kitty litter / clay....
Haha, totally true Phil. I thought everything was going fine with my bentonite BG...then the other day both sides failed at the same time. Not a big mess or anything (they just slid down), but its gonna suck to have to redo the tank. Especially because all the moss had established and was looking so nice. Oh well.

Lisa....be glad you didn't do kitty litter Wink
-Field Smith
Some frogs...
LOL you guys on the kitty litter! I was actually thinking about that strongly as a natural BG, then when I did more research said "nope! not for a first tank! I'll do the easy way" Confusedhock: roflol Sliding off was actually one scenario I pictured that changed my mind on it. Sorry you had that trouble Field!

Thanks mordoria, I'll check that "goop" Smile out, sounds like a viable option right now. I do have the zoo med, and had thought about taking off the lid (I just have glass setting on the screen) and using clamps. I would have to get them though, so the weight and tipping a bit seem more likely.

I don't know a lot about toxicity etc. As long as this adhesive is non toxic when cured it is safe for the PDF's? Down the road, I don't have any yet. Have you had it stand the test of time in a viv? The humidity won't cause it to fail down the road?

Phil, my tiles just meet the surface of the substrate - is it a better idea to have them below it some?
Also, while I only hand mist, I was daily being sure to do the whole background, as I am training plants up it, and assumed it would help with keeping the humidity high also. Would it be a better plan to not do that when I get them back in?

The tiles I have seem to be pretty well put together, while there is one area that looks like it could potentially be a spot to separate, there is no sign of that happening yet. However, the larger of my two pieces (12" wide) did warp a bit, due, I would think, to the expansion with no where to go.

Thanks to you all for your thoughts, I was nervous to try anything not knowing if it would just be a mess again!
Lisa
In central NY

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020