Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Male imi thinks he's a pond frog...
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Male imi thinks he's a pond frog...
Is it unusual behavior for my male imi to be submerging himself in water and staying there?

He is a calling male, housed with 2 suspected females (1 for certain, if following/back stroking proves female positively). Viv is 18wx18dx24h Zoo Med.
Humidity is (and has been steadily) 99%,
temp is 73* F.
Lots of LL, microfauna & hides. Plants are growing in yet, and my broms just got here today.

Water is probably a couple tablespoons in a white film canister tipped 45 degrees. Has several small pieces of the LL leaves in it (in case they put tads there it is somewhat of a tadpole tea.

I have seen him do this on several occasions now, I was afraid he drowned somehow the first time! Every time I see it, I hold my breath until I see movement! He stays submerged for.. I've seen 30 seconds and over.
I hope he is hiding eggs on me, and is just getting water to moisten them!
Lisa
In central NY

R. Imitator 'Cainarachi Valley' 2.3.0
R. Imitator 'Cainarachi Valley' Froglets 8 and counting.
Scuba diving!
Hey Lisa
My imi's will exhibit similar behavior at times. No worries. Glad to hear you will end up w at least a pair!

-Scott
Scott - North Dallas
Thanks Scott, eases my mind Smile
Yes, the one set in that viv I've seen her stroking his back and following, and also in a 15 gal. I have two others, in a 15 gal. a calling male and another female that I have seen stroking his back. I guess it is safe to change my numbers to 2 females having seen that? I was pretty sure going by shape before I saw this behavior. Not that I have one whit of experience, but the shape difference seemed so obvious between the males & females with these guys.
Lisa
In central NY

My sirensis will readily and frequently "dive" into the water(which is merely a tiny tupperware provided for tad deposition) when they are right by it and I surprise them. They will stay submerged for about a minute, perhaps less and then slink thier way up the sides. This, IMHO, is very natural behavior if you look at frogs as a whole. Water will always be utilized as a means of escape, and will only be detrimental when the frog cannot easily exit the water once the fear has subsided. I generally have an Oak leaf "dipped" into the water to serve as a source of tannins, to provide cover for tads dropped, and also as a way for adults to comfortably enter and exit the water receptacle. I hope to have helped.

JBear
JBear

"A fool thinks himself to be wise; A wise man knows himself to be a fool"

R. sirensis-P. terribilis-P. bicolor-E. anthonyi
Thanks JBear, yes, it is good to know experiences of others, thanks for sharing!
Lisa
In central NY

Lisa, this could aslo be a by product of your frogs breeding activity. Male frogs "water" the eggs to keep them moist, usually every day or every couple of days at the most. He may be in the film canister trying to rehydrate himself and replace the water he's used on the eggs.
Jon
Thanks Jon, that is what I was hoping was happening when I saw it. It was before any discovered eggs, but I know they can hide them... maybe he was practicing lol
Lisa
In central NY

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020