Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Froglet missing an eye and the supraorbitol ridge
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Froglet missing an eye and the supraorbitol ridge
He guys one of my mates here has just morphed out a froglet without an eye and the suraorbitol ridge,its a leuc by the way. Can anyone shed any light on why this might have occurred.i have not come across this ever before would love to know more about the why's and wherefore's of this one.
thanks in advance
Stu
I've never seen a frog actually fully develop with deformations. They usually die within the eggs after a few days of life (wiggling).

I do have one auratus frog that has a weird hind leg. Like a short (thigh?) part but he jumps fine and is eating without problems. I suspected some sort of SLS but the legs are thick and healthy other than that so I just accept it as a natural variation.
Quality frogs, supplies and plants : www.TropicalDartFrogs.com
TropicalDartFrogs Wrote:I've never seen a frog actually fully develop with deformations. They usually die within the eggs after a few days of life (wiggling).

I do have one auratus frog that has a weird hind leg. Like a short (thigh?) part but he jumps fine and is eating without problems. I suspected some sort of SLS but the legs are thick and healthy other than that so I just accept it as a natural variation.

My mate's here have come across one other case of this over with you guys stateside,seems the little fella might not be too hampered by only having one eye as he's feeding well apparently,which surprises me.
i've come across the short thigh somewhere too but hell know's where
thanks for the thoughts
Stu
Give him a cool name like cyclops and keep him. You'll like him all the more.
Quality frogs, supplies and plants : www.TropicalDartFrogs.com
Scott M. has a huge terribilis with only one eye and it's in a colony tank with other large adults....all fine...feeding is fine too.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
TropicalDartFrogs Wrote:Give him a cool name like cyclops and keep him. You'll like him all the more.
Good shout 8) but the frog is not mine if it was i'd say so,there are 3 of us here whom have all hatched leucs at the same time so we have been keeping notes and sharing pics etc,its one of the other fellas whom has noticed this. Its nice to run these things by you guys on this forum as so many of you have so much experiance
thanks again buddy
Stu
Philsuma Wrote:Scott M. has a huge terribilis with only one eye and it's in a colony tank with other large adults....all fine...feeding is fine too.
Hey bro,thanks for this it means prospects are looking good for the little fella,it amazes me that the lack of binocular vision doesn't seem to be a handicap,also nice to know that this manifestation is not confined to leucs
thanks dude
Stu
Hey Stu,

I found this guy roaming around with the parents a few days ago.. He seems to missing the orbital socket but is doing well and seems to be fat and healthy!

[Image: e3ade3y9.jpg]
Tuckinrim8 Wrote:Hey Stu,

I found this guy roaming around with the parents a few days ago.. He seems to missing the orbital socket but is doing well and seems to be fat and healthy!

[Image: e3ade3y9.jpg]

Hi Tuck,it seems that this might just be a little bit more common than I first thought.Thanks for the reply and picture.I don't know how the little leuc fared as the guy whom morphed him hasn't been about much of late.Anyway good luck with your little fella,I'd love to know what the cause is. I'm still amazed that a handicap such as this doesn't seem to be much of a problem to them.
much thanks

Stu

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020