Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frog Calls - What age ?
Hello everyone.

Just wanted to ask about the topic.

At what age does a frog starts to call ? Also, do different species start faster/younger than others ?

Juan
0.0.2 ‘Turquoise and Bronze’ D. Auratus (Michael Shrom line)
Juan, it's a bit different for every species. Your smaller frogs, thumbnails, tend to mature at a younger age than larger frogs so they should start calling at earlier. I don't know of any hard fast rule about when frogs start calling. I've had leucs and bicolors start calling at about 6 mos of age, yet take another 6 months to start laying eggs.
Jon
I got my Leuc to call a couple weeks ago at about 8 months old. Heavy misting for a couple days and pulled up audio of a Leuc call. I got 2 quick calls but not sure which it came from.
Jon
1.0.6 D. Leucomelas
0.0.2 D. Azureus
highly variable - calling with age and then species specific.

If I had to make a blanket time-frame / guess to cover most species, I would have to say.....8 months to a year.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
fishguyturnedfrog Wrote:I got my Leuc to call a couple weeks ago at about 8 months old. Heavy misting for a couple days and pulled up audio of a Leuc call. I got 2 quick calls but not sure which it came from.

It came from a male Tongue LOL Sorry I couldn't resist.
Jon
Jon Big Grin
i can add that our very first batch of mysties contained a male and he called almost exactly 6months of age,might not be indicative of species ,but a cold hard fact nonetheless
Stu
Stu&Shaz Wrote:Jon Big Grin
i can add that our very first batch of mysties contained a male and he called almost exactly 6months of age,might not be indicative of species ,but a cold hard fact nonetheless
Stu

Stu my friend that makes absolute perfect sense to me. I think the smaller frogs start calling and maturing earlier.
BTW I'm jealous you have mysties. Smile
Jon
Rusty_Shackleford Wrote:
fishguyturnedfrog Wrote:I got my Leuc to call a couple weeks ago at about 8 months old. Heavy misting for a couple days and pulled up audio of a Leuc call. I got 2 quick calls but not sure which it came from.

It came from a male Tongue LOL Sorry I couldn't resist.

LOL....Thanks Rusty Smile I have an idea of which did it because when I started playing the audio, it looked like it was doing defensive postures. The other was in hiding like usual.
Jon
1.0.6 D. Leucomelas
0.0.2 D. Azureus
Rusty_Shackleford Wrote:
Stu&Shaz Wrote:Jon Big Grin
Stu

Stu my friend that makes absolute perfect sense to me. I think the smaller frogs start calling and maturing earlier.
BTW I'm jealous you have mysties. Smile
Hey Jon,they are somewhere betwixt thumbs and say auratus, we think about twice the size of summersi. They are an enigma thats for sure:I'm actually stunned by this Jon because they so so long in the water,and seem slow to grow,i think you also need to show caution on how much one feeds them they get fat ...really really fat very easy.Jon they also seem to want less as tads,and as frogs hunt,well its all descriptions,but they hunt like folks are saying the Paru do. If you are ever on my island mate i would humbly request you come here and see them,that will seal the jealousy :lol: I'm a novice learning the ropes Jon but these guys are tricky to rear well.I've heard of some form of consensus going on in Germany ,but i'm having a real struggle trying to get to the bottom of it all with the language difficulties,i struggle with my own,to be fair,but i want to get envolved if i can,they are so damn special these frogs.
regards
Stu
Thanks for the Information above. reason i asked was because my folks claim to hear the frogs in the morning before they go to work and im guessing is the Turquoise & Bronze auratus as they were closest to the door/hall. anyhow by far they are the shiest while the Citronella's are not they dont mind my hand in the viv to mist and feed. with that being said i just wanted to know which of my frogs would be the ones calling as they are close to about 8months old.

Juan
Tincs are very quiet.

Auratus have a little more volume....sounds more like a buzz....hard to hear unless it's quiet or you are close to the viv and concentrating.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Juan, I agree with Phil. I hear my auratus call all the time. Their "buzz" is much louder than any of the tincs I have. The tincs are so quiet you almost have to be on top of them to hear them calling.

Stu, you can bet if I ever make it to "your island" I'm gonna be looking you up and taking you to the pub for a pint and some frog talk.
Jon
Ohhhh okay, thank you very much for the clarification on their sound. I guess they were just hearing the fishroom itself as it is ran by a big Airpump.

will keep my ears open!

Juan
Juan,if you look on the species section of dendrobates org,they have many recordings of darts.I'm guessing that the tincs will call at a slightly later age,i can't yet be sure on this,i hear exactly what Jon and Phil have said,and with our 2 groups of aurauts if we hear a male call there will always be eggs about somewhere,at least later that day.This is not the case for other guys i talk to here,but always with our frogs ,don't ask me why,maybe we never hear them call on other occasions,but its interesting to note these things.Our luecs i think just like shouting at each other,there is no correlation other than if it goes on and on and on it's worth checking the viv thoroughly.
Stu
Juan, here's a link to some recorded calls and videos from the MistKing website. Enjoy!!!

http://www.mistking.com/pages.php?pageid=5
Jon

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020