Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Anyone a vendor for a local pet store?
I'm looking to become a vendor for a respected local petstore that sells darts. Has anyone else ever done this before? I'm trying to find out what licenses etc I might need.
They've only mentioned that I need to fill out a W9 with my SSN, but that was only my second communication with them. I'm waiting to hear back from them in response to my latest email.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
When I was a manager for a local pet shop our vendors needed to have a business liscence with a tax id number. Hope this helps but it will vary from state to state though.
Thanks or the reply. I'm trying to find out more info still.

I'll use "That Fish Place" in Columbia PA as an example. Unless you are an 'employee' for an already existing business with them, they are gonna require a tax I.D number and proof that you are really a business ect. They are pretty stringent.

Otherwise I'm not sure what you mean by 'vendor for a pet store". Are you an employee of said store ? Can you more fully describe what you want to do ?

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Phil, I've actually been in contact with TFP in Lancaster. They said they'd require my SS # or tax ID # (I just got my EIN#) and will fill out vendor profile forms. That's all she's mentioned to me. I'm definitely not an employee! Just looking to outright sell my froglets to the store.
ahh....thought so. Quite a few forum members have gone this route :wink:

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
I'm just wanting to make sure I don't get myself in trouble anywhere not being registered as a business. Or having a business license at this time. I'm willing to go that route, but that would take time to save up the funds. Good to know I'm not the only one who has done this though!
You would just have to claim the sales to the Tax Dept when you file. The company will issue a W9 to file with your taxes. Thats why they need a SS or Biz id#
A sole proprietorship can just use a business name and a ss# or EIN only difference is in the "liability." insert disclaimer here.
http://www.paopen4businessbriefcase.sta ... leProp.asp
Thank you for the info guys! That helps a lot. My brother is a business owner, but he went LLC. From everything I was reading it looked like all I would really need is the fictitious name. Might as well go ahead and make it all official for my Etsy store in the mean time.
I appreciate the guidance!
You should be able to setup single owner llc, kinda like sole proprietor with protection, in that only the business would be sued. With sole proprietor, they could come after your personal stuff.
Dendrobates, Phyllobates, Rantiomeya, Epipedobates
A little late to the discussion here, but... when another member and I were considering setting something with our local pet store, we were told to have this license from the Florida Fish and Wildlife. I would assume you may need something similar in PA.
I don't think so Wes. PA doesn't have near the licensing issues and hoops that FL does. I could be wrong though....

I've had a business license in FL for the past 3 years, so I'm set to go once I'm down there full time.

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
I don't need any type of license. My froglets have been in the store for the past two weeks, and I got my first check on Friday- so everything is going smoothly so far.

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)