Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Temp gun light attractive to frogs?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Temp gun light attractive to frogs?
Hi everyone,
Just wondering what about the red (laser?) aiming light on my temp gun would be attractive to my frogs? When I check the temp, there is an immediate response from them. They will actually chase the dot it if they are near it. The impression I get is they think it is food.
Lisa
In central NY

R. Imitator 'Cainarachi Valley' 2.3.0
R. Imitator 'Cainarachi Valley' Froglets 8 and counting.
Ha..it drives frogs nuts. Amuses my dogs as well.
brad
Movement.....it 'moves' like a prey insect due to the shakiness of holding the gun and moving it around.

I think it's cool that they see the light so well, in their spectrum of colours.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Philsuma Wrote:Movement.....it 'moves' like a prey insect due to the shakiness of holding the gun and moving it around.

I think it's cool that they see the light so well, in their spectrum of colours.

Im ordering a temp gun this weekend haha.

Not to go off subject but is their any research on what is in their color spectrum? That caught my interesting immediately
Azureus - Imitators "Cainarachi Valley" - Leucomelas - Black Jeans
That was kinda what I was wondering too. Like how sharks sense faint electromagnetic fields in their prey. If the light had something specific about it that they could see that attracted them, more than just the movement. Even if I brace it against the glass and it is perfectly still, they go after it.
Lisa
In central NY

R. Imitator 'Cainarachi Valley' 2.3.0
R. Imitator 'Cainarachi Valley' Froglets 8 and counting.
There is some research in this area, my understanding is that their vision is similar to ours, I.e. full colour across the same spectrum as we see. I do have a paper about this somewhere but can't seem to find it, will keep looking

Ben
Lisa, i wonder if my imitators will act the same. Once my temp gun shows up ill give it a shot.

Ben, that would be great if you could find it. Thanks!
Azureus - Imitators "Cainarachi Valley" - Leucomelas - Black Jeans

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020