Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fruit flies-- how much is too much?
I have read many different things regarding feeding of fruit flies. How many per day would a Santa Isabel be content with? I don't want to find out the hard way that I am either under feeding or overfeeding.
I would start at 10 to 14 Melanogaster per frog. Maybe feed them once and see if you have flies left over the next day. If you have too many left over reduce the amount your feeding or wait another day to feed. Watch your frogs, and the flies in the tank, they'll tell you if your feeding enough or if they need more. It's not an exact science by any means. I feed my adults every other day. A fast day in between feedings is not an uncommon or bad thing for adult frogs. I hope this helps.
Jon
thanks, rusty! this does indeed help. ive just been seeing different numbers as far as feedings per adult goes. I will definately take your word into consideration and tweak the feeding as needed Smile
I am an amateur.....i over feed and i know it......is this wrong? I do notice that if (always) i feed heavy i dont see the frogs out "hunting" . If i see this i hold back a day or two. and bam! Frogs out and all over the place. Am i making my frogs lazy like me?
I think so Zach. That's why I don't use feeding stations or schedules. I like to sometimes 'forget' about them for a few days or even not feed whilst on a short vacation. ADULT frogs that is.....froglets and smaller frogs need a bit more regular feedings.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
All the frogs i have are pretty young, blue and black auratus and the truncatus are all under 9/10 months otw from what ive been told buy the folks i purchased from.

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020