Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Froglets in same or seperate container?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Froglets in same or seperate container?
My second tadpole is about ready to be transfered from the water container to a paper-towel temporary home. I already have one for my froglet (he's doing great moving around like crazy and I'm sure he's hunting down the fruit flies) but its smaller size, six inches wide, 4 1/2 tall and 3 inches deep. Should I just put the new froggie in with it's elder sibbling? For now it would just be the two of them together, and they're going to be housed in the 10 gallon eventually.

If you had the option of keeping them seperate during this begining rearing stage, would you?
I like to keep froglets in 2s. And i also dont like to use paper towels. I use spaghum moss. its about as cheap as paper towels and much better looking. Its just makes for a much better holding envirometn that you dont have to change nearly as much if ever.
If I remember correctly (someone please verify or disprove this) sphagnum has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties.
Cool - they're now in with each other, they like to chill right next to each other in the hiding spot. The 5-6 day older one will venture out to hunt FF's from time to time. The younger one is acting just like the other in that it is nearly motionless after the switch to a land environment.

I'll switch to sphagnum moss soon, the paper towel is starting get a few too many dead FF's and I feel it needs changing. I've got a local plant nursery I can check at - but where else would I find sphagnum moss, maybe Home Depot?

Thanks ya'll
Jay
Yeah check hardware stores and look for the chilean spaghum. I prefer it. If you cant find it there either get it from black jungle or i can get it for you. Probably cost about 4.50 for the big bag and 2 or 3 bucks for shipping.
pastorjosh Wrote:If I remember correctly (someone please verify or disprove this) sphagnum has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties.

Yes. At least when it comes to many plant pathogens. I presume this extends to other pathogens. The activity goes away after a while (a few months, probably). Fresh (live) sphagnum is best, if you can find it, followed closely by a good grade of compressed dried sphagnum. Avoid using old moss.

If you can't find it at the garden center, try a local orchid grower or do a google search for 'orchid sphagnum moss'. Orchid growers use sphagnum a lot, and insist on premium quality. Lots of people who sell orchids or orchid growing supplies will also sell good sphagnum moss.

IIRC sphagnum moss was used as a wound dressing before the advent of 'modern' bandages. I think as late as WWI, maybe later.
Why yes, I do have orchids you could grow in a vivarium... *grin*

http://littlefrogfarm.com (orchids!)

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020