Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from Long Island, New York
Hi Guys, First I wanted to say thank you to you all. I have been visiting this site for a short time now and have learned so much from you all already. I hope I can be as much help to others in the future as you all have been for me Big Grin

My name is Mike Ryan (limike). I am from Long Island, New York and I am new to the site. I am 38 years old and blessed with two wonderful daughters. I have been keeping dart frogs for some time now. I started with a trio of azureus in a 24x18x18 and now 7 tanks later, I know you understand :mrgreen: Anyway, my other hobbies are metal detecting and salt water reef, but dart frogs are my true passion.
Thanks again, Mike
Welcome to Dart Den Mike !

Reef tanks ya say ?? Hmmm..a FEW of us may have some similar interest there. heh. A lot of us were/are reefers. Long Island is a great place for froggers. You have a lot of fellow hobbyists near by as well as shows and gatherings. Frog Day 2013 just may happen very near your neck of the woods and if that planning goes...you do NOT wanna miss that big frogapaloza, let me tell ya.

7 tanks already ? Wow, you have jumped right in, haven't you.

Please feel free to hang out and post often. We are glad to have you.

~Phil
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Philsuma Wrote:Welcome to Dart Den Mike !

Reef tanks ya say ?? Hmmm..a FEW of us may have some similar interest there. heh. A lot of us were/are reefers. Long Island is a great place for froggers. You have a lot of fellow hobbyists near by as well as shows and gatherings. Frog Day 2013 just may happen very near your neck of the woods and if that planning goes...you do NOT wanna miss that big frogapaloza, let me tell ya.

7 tanks already ? Wow, you have jumped right in, haven't you.

Please feel free to hang out and post often. We are glad to have you.

~Phil
Hi Phil, Thank you very much for your warm welcome. That sounds great!!! I am very much looking forward to Frog Day and to the gatherings. I would love to get a chance to meet you all.

Yes, reefing is a great hobby, I have been doing it for some time now. To be honest though, I am always looking at the reef tank thinking that would make a great dart frog tank LOL

Yeah, 7 tanks LOL. I will be sure to post some pictures soon of my dart frog tanks. This is a picture of my reef.
Thank you all again, Mike

[Image: 20121225142526.jpg]
Well it looks like you're doing the reef tank right.....

I see three mp40s So your flow is covered.

Judging by the way the light falls on the corals I would guess metal halides?
Aga tank?

And it looks like that digitata you put up on the top left needs to get trimmed.
Frogs are so much less effort than reefs. But sadly I cannot give up either one.

Welcome to the Board.

-Byron
Armson Wrote:Well it looks like you're doing the reef tank right.....

I see three mp40s So your flow is covered.

Judging by the way the light falls on the corals I would guess metal halides?
Aga tank?

And it looks like that digitata you put up on the top left needs to get trimmed.
Frogs are so much less effort than reefs. But sadly I cannot give up either one.

Welcome to the Board.

-Byron
Hi Byron, Thank you for the kind words and worm welcome. Yes dart frogs are a lot less effort and a lot cheaper Big Grin
Actually I am using acan LED's for my lighting. I was using 250 watt metal halides in the past but with the LED technology I find that the growth of the coral is much faster and the electric bill is much less LOL
The coral to the left is a ORA green tip birds nest. I have been growing it for some time. I know I have to trim it, its just that I like the natural look of the tank.
I recently was talked into using the bio pellet system from a friend of mine and wish I never did. I knew better to use them on an established tank but decided against by better judgment and did so. I lost a couple of my nicest SPS colony corals that i have been growing for years. What can I do except learn from my mistakes and not do them again.
Thanks again, Mike
Do you find your sps coral washes out with the LEDS?
I am still hearing all kinds of back and fourth about LEDs.

I actually work here www.blueribbonkoi.com. (I call this my job, and I am unix admin to pay for all my hobbies )

You wouldn't happen to have or know anyone that still has any ORA Oregan tort would you?
Good God!
Tell me you have off spring of those Almirante?

Put me on the list!
Armson Wrote:Do you find your sps coral washes out with the LEDS?
I am still hearing all kinds of back and fourth about LEDs.

I actually work here http://www.blueribbonkoi.com. (I call this my job, and I am unix admin to pay for all my hobbies )

You wouldn't happen to have or know anyone that still has any ORA Oregan tort would you?
Hi Armson, To be honest I think the LED's tech is just not there yet. I think the new ecotech radion with UV will be the way to go. I did find that i did lose color when I switched over to LED's. There is nothing like MH as far as color goes, but my chiller was always on. No, I dont know of anybody with the ORA Oregan but I haven't looked for 1. I will be sure to ask around for you and let you know what I can find.
Thank you for your kind words about my Almirante, I will be sure to keep you posted when I have an off spring.
Thanks again, Mike
Oyeah, BTW, now you definitely have the dream job. I will be sure to do some shopping at your shop.
My 300 gallon deep dimensions is still sitting at the shop.

It's been a 3-way battle for me for LEDs
Vertex vs AI vega vs Ecotech I am still so unsure as to what I want to do.

You going to MACNA this year?
It's in Miami so going to be kinda hard to miss. Plus Rich Pyle is going to be speaking!
Of course I really hope that Frog Day in NY doesn't interfere because I have to attend that as well.

Let me know if you are looking for anything particular. I have plenty of connections all around.

-Byron
limike Wrote:Oyeah, BTW, now you definitely have the dream job. I will be sure to do some shopping at your shop.

Wow I never thought of Unix admin as being a dream job? Big Grin
Armson Wrote:
limike Wrote:Oyeah, BTW, now you definitely have the dream job. I will be sure to do some shopping at your shop.

Wow I never thought of Unix admin as being a dream job? Big Grin
LOL, Yeah I didnt get past the site. They really have a lot of nice coral, I figured you worked in shop Big Grin

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020