Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

new frogs stressed? not eating?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new frogs stressed? not eating?
I brought home two Azureus froglets about a week ago. The minute I put them in the tank they started to chow down on springtails I had in the tank as well as some fruit flys i sprinkled in there. After about a day or so it doesnt seem they are eating. I present them with flies, they just look at them. Im sure they are stressed out from being in a new tank, but it was odd they ate at first and not so much now. There is food in the tank at all times, so maybe they snack all day? These are my first darts an am very nervous as to do something wrong. They are in an 18x18x24 exo planted with 85% humidity and the temp at 75F. There are plenty places to hide, which they do. I do see them out and about, and they dont really seem skinny yet. Should i give it some more time? The tank is in my living room, the not so most quietest place, is this a factor? Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
"food at all times" just may be stressing them. FF should never be crawling all through the viv at all times. That means too many.

Can you post a pic of the frogs and a pic or 2 of the viv ?
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
The tank isnt really isn t full of flies but there are some in there for them to eat, there are however springtails in there also. Ill try to take a picture but im not to computer savy.
They won't eat constantly. There may be plenty of flies all over and they will be full. For a day or two even. And, you're not watching them all day every day.
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
I only get to see the frogs maybe two hours a day. By the time I get home its lights out most of the time. Im gonna try and get a picture to get an idea of what others think of the frogs health. I may place them in a ten gallon in a quiet room to see if they relax a bit.
Not the best pic but I think this little guy is getting skinny?
Well..I guess everyone is waiting for me to answer....

Hard to tell from the one pic. Doesn't look bad.That tank looks sopping wet. Is there a waterfall flowing over everything or did you just spray it ?
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Misted to get the little guy to come out. I came home from work today and witnessed the one eating which was good. Looks a little fatter too.
Glad to hear they are eating. I've had a pair of azureus for about 15 months now and they have been breeding since the summer. In my experience (which pales in comparison to Rich and Phil Smile ) smaller froglets can look quite frail (especially their limbs). I've got an azureus breeding thread on here with lots of froglet pics at various stages that you can compare to. I can also try to snap more close ups if you give us an approximate age or size of your current froglets.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=6384&start=100

You have gotten good advice already. All I can add is that my froglets from 1 to 2 months tend to hide extensively in the leaf litter. I usually have at least a sizable section of the viv with 2" or more of leaf litter available to them. Once they are comfortable in the viv (usually at the 2 to 3 months OOW mark) they often bask on the top of the litter or roam around the viv.
mike2780 Wrote:I only get to see the frogs maybe two hours a day. By the time I get home its lights out most of the time. Im gonna try and get a picture to get an idea of what others think of the frogs health. I may place them in a ten gallon in a quiet room to see if they relax a bit.
I probably would not move them to another viv - that would just freak them out more. If your living room is that busy and you are concerned about foot traffic I would consider suspending a curtain around the viv or tape some sheets of paper to the glass as a visual block to the room. Let them get comfortable with their surroundings and scope out some hides (leaf litter, huts, caves, plants), then you can remove the paper/curtain.

Honestly my adult azureus are more like dogs. They sit by the front of the glass and watch us more than we watch them. Good luck and do keep us posted on how they are doing!
Jim from Austin | https://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/
fantastica nominant | summersi | reticulata | A barbotini
Thank you for the advise and knowledge it is truly appreciated. I have had reptiles and amphibians my whole life as well as went to college for this, but these frogs feel like a whole new ball game. I like a challenge though. The frog i witnessed yesterday feeding was eating like a pig today which is great. The other one not so much, doesnt look to skinny though. Maybe it needs some more time to relax. I dont know if this sounds weird but i have been playing jungle sounds by the tank. Just crickets and frog noises mostly, softly in the room. Maybe it will drown out some of the other noises.

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020