Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Hand Misting vs Pump Srayers (Toxic ?)
#1
We want to use a "auto pump" type sprayer...
The one that you hand pump 10 or so times then lock it, and we could spray alot with no hand fatigue.

We have used the Mundi Hand pump & the Tractor Supply ones in all sizes, some we wear over our shoulders, for outside gardening.

One day we took them apart to clean, on the long fat outer tube pump thing ( sorry I do not know what its called) its loaded with a grease or jelly like substance, this is on EVERY BRAND, We assume its a lube for the pump thing...
We also assume the sprayer will not function well without it being lubed of sort?

We took them apart because we noticed the nozzles were getting clogged, it was clogged by the grease/jelly substance.
So whatever that substance is, it does pass through the nozzle.

We have fears that this grease will harbour bacteria and or other "nastys" we have never used them on our birds,
so we wont use them on our frogs....

So, has anyone ever used them/use them and what is this stuff on it?

Can it be disenfected, or can something else be done?

Does anyone just use it and have had no problems?

Like Fertilizer is okay for plants, not frogs...Is just the substance safe for plants?

Am I being over cautious?
Reply
#2
Ive been using the pump style sprayers for 5+ years with no issues. Many others use them too. It would be interesting for someone to do an analysis on pump sprayer water, especially for a few different kinds over several years. Although my water does not sit in mine for very long, a fill up of a 2.5 g sprayer lasts me 1 to 1.5 misting sessions...so I am filling mine up every day or two.
Reply
#3
Does it ever clog, or the Grease jelly change color?

We have had it clog, and I have noticed black dots on the jelly/grease.

I emailed a few companies to ask them what it "ACTUALLY IS " We think it might be a petroleum jelly or such?

I will let you know what they tell us it is.
I was just concerned since it does sit in the water being used.
I would never spray my animals with a grease / jelly, but hand misting is so tiresome...
Can I ask you which one you use?

Thank you for answering our question!
Smile
Reply
#4
I am pretty sure this is the exact one I am currently using :

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Roundup-2-Ga ... /202280061

Just a weed sprayer. When I first got it I rinsed it quite a few times before using it. I clean the wand and the lines occasionally, just using some hot water. I only ever use it for misting, so the only thing ever used in it is water. I am fortunate enough to have good tap water, so I just use aged tap for my misting.

I have never seen any indication of oil or lubricants leaking into the water. Thats not to say it doesnt happen, but I have never seen any indication of it.... I occasionally taste the water in the sprayer, which might be a little crazy, but it makes me feel a little better regarding the quality/cleanliness of the water.
Reply
#5
cbreon Wrote:I occasionally taste the water in the sprayer, which might be a little crazy, but it makes me feel a little better regarding the quality/cleanliness of the water.

Not really, eventually the get some algae and bacteria growing in them. Same as small hand misters.
Glenn
Reply
#6
frogfreak Wrote:
cbreon Wrote:I occasionally taste the water in the sprayer, which might be a little crazy, but it makes me feel a little better regarding the quality/cleanliness of the water.

Not really, eventually the get some algae and bacteria growing in them. Same as small hand misters.

Hey Glenn, are you saying that its not crazy? Or are you saying that tasting the water wont tell me anything?
Reply
#7
cbreon Wrote:
frogfreak Wrote:
cbreon Wrote:I occasionally taste the water in the sprayer, which might be a little crazy, but it makes me feel a little better regarding the quality/cleanliness of the water.

Not really, eventually the get some algae and bacteria growing in them. Same as small hand misters.

Hey Glenn, are you saying that its not crazy? Or are you saying that tasting the water wont tell me anything?

The 'flavour' will def tell you something.
Glenn
Reply




Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)