Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Exo Terra screen lid replacement
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exo Terra screen lid replacement
Hi, I'm going to be replacing the screen lid of an Exo Terra 36w x 18d x 24h, and there seems to be a couple techniques people recommend - removing the screen and siliconing in glass (either bare or framed), cutting out most of the screen and siliconing glass on top of it, fully replacing the entire top with a single sheet of glass/lucite, or just putting the glass on top of the screen (which has a tendency to then rust).

Here's my question - I have cats. Who have their own opinion as to where they are and aren't allowed. Are there other cat owners who can give some opinions as to which of the four techniques is least likely to result in me coming home to a vivarium full of damp but well fed cats?

Thanks,

Ralph
Hi Ralph,
Sorry I would've responded sooner if I'd seen your post! I also have several "free spirited" cats, who think they can go anywhere they want! They act like they own the place! However, in the year and a half I've had multiple vivs, they have never climbed on top of them. I think it's cause of the lights, which are obviously on top of the vivs. The only exception to this is my 75 gallon, which houses my fire belly toads, and the lights are a good 8 inches above the top. The top of that viv is all glass, and 1 cat, Blue, occasionally hops up there, no harm done. He just looks down thru the glass.
All of my pdf vivs have lights either right on top, or just an inch or two above the viv. I have just put sections of glass on top of the screens on all of these. No rusting yet, and if it happens I will deal with it!
Diane
P. Terribilis orange, R. Imitator Cainarachi Valley, D. Leucomelas, D. Auratus, D. Azureus, P. vittatus, D. cobalts, D.Oyapok, Bombina Orientalis
Hi Diane,
Thanks for the reply, sadly one of them appears to have forced the issue this weekend. I had the tank on the floor intending to work on the background and came in to one of the screen sections torn 75% of the way out. It probably wouldn't have happened it it was on the Bakers rack, but oh well, lesson learned. So it looks like the glass siliconed to the frame is the only option now, and I got framing and made 1" screened vents for two of the four sections. Does anyone have any strong opinions as to where in the four openings to place them? At the front to keep the glass clean or towards the middle/rear for better ventilation? At the moment I have no plans to have in-tank ventilation fans, mainly due to a lack of any electrical expertise whatsoever.

Thanks,
Ralph
Ralph, I'm so sorry! Did the kitty kill any frogs? Or "liberate" any frogs?
P. Terribilis orange, R. Imitator Cainarachi Valley, D. Leucomelas, D. Auratus, D. Azureus, P. vittatus, D. cobalts, D.Oyapok, Bombina Orientalis
Oh, there's no frogs yet. I'm doing it stepwise and trying to get everything lined up, and I've been too busy at work to get a lot done. Everything but the top is fully planned out, and the false bottom is out together, I just need to get a block of time to work on the background. Hopefully all the hard scape will be done by next weekend, then plant collection time, then hopefully frogs come late November or so.

They do have a catnip frog they savage pretty routinely though :lol:
Ralph, Thank God! Didn't realize you had no frogs yet, you are really doing it right! Good for you! How far above your vivs are your lights?
Diane
Diane,
I'm taking my time, I want to minimize problems as much as possible. I have a couple 11W Jungle Dawns and a couple 15W Glow and Grow LED's that will mount to the bakers rack, I was thinking about 3-5" up but it's completely changeable. I've never used LED's and I'm not sure how much light they will really throw.
Ralph

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020