Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greetings and Salutations from California
Hello all. I've been lurking about on here for what seems like ages. I've spent a long time looking over information before taking the plunge into the Dart world. I've been in love with frogs for my entire life. Growing up in the country, most spring and summer nights Pacific Chorus tree frogs (with Western and Spade-footed toads) were louder than the TV. I love the thumping sound of the bullfrogs from our pond, heard very clearly a half mile away. I live in town now and there is a surprising lack of frogs here, especially for how lush my neighborhood is. Sad I am not totally new to frog husbandry. We had three White's for a good 18 years.

I am married and my husband, being the enabler that he is, has encouraged me to fulfill my dream of dart frog husbandry. I am somewhat surprised by the apparent lack of froggers in my general geographic area. I was just up in Seattle for a whirlwind trip and I'm slapping my forehead that I didn't look into it while I was up there.

I am currently gathering supplies for my viv build. Going with the "bigger is better" theory, I have a 36"x18"x18" Exo Terra. I have converted a Vicks cool-mist humidifier into a "fogger" and I am deciding on how to fashion a water feature. I'm taking it slow. This is going to be my escape...an actual hobby...and I want to do it right. I'm also trying my hand at fruit fly cultures. It seems I have no problem with the flight-enabled variety in my kitchen (don't ask me how that banana got behind there...), and I'm hoping the flightless ones aren't too difficult to master(ish).

I've settled on P. terribilis as my first species, for a number of reasons. I am leaning towards the orange morph but am still somewhat undecided. They seem to be difficult to track down in this region.

Because I'm wanting my viv to be just so...and I want my frogs to live long, healthy lives, I am planning on doing a lot more research into quarantine periods and parasitic issues and treatments. I appreciate the information I've found here thus far (thank you Dr. Frye) and look forward to learning more. I am starting to also research local vet options. I am am not sure what exists here beyond the norm.

At any rate, thank you for your informative forum and your kindness towards newcomers such as myself. I am very much looking forward to the journey ahead.
Welcome and I wish you luck in your endeavors!
Welcome to the addiction! Great choice on your frog dart species as well. I keep Orange Terribilis and love them. Big, bold, and beautiful frog. Doesn't get much better than that in my opinion. Keep us updated on your progress. Sounds like you are definitely headed in the right direction!
Thanks Hayden! Looks like you have quite the project going on as well! I look forward to the big guys!
Welcome to Dart Den Carey!

It certainly appears that you have done quite a bity of research already ! - Bravo !! That's what we like to see!

Take your time, look around, read and ask a lot of questions if you have them. We are here to help.

Cali is a huge state like Texas, Florida but there are def many, many other froggers there - just got ta find them.

Cheers,

Phil
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Welcome to Dart Den! Looking forward to seeing how your build progresses!
Jim from Austin | https://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/
fantastica nominant | summersi | reticulata | A barbotini
Welcome to the hobby! You are actually not too far from some really great froggers. The San Jose area is filled with years and years of solid knowledge and experience. San Jose also happens to be home to J.L. Exotics which is one of the distributors of the super awesome black foot terribilis that are new in the hobby thanks to Tesoros de Columbia, a company working on bringing legal and sustainable frog imports from Columbia to the states. Good luck and happy frogging!
Ranitomeya, Oophaga, Ameerega, Adelphobates, Epipedobates,

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020