Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Air stone in drainage layer ?
Does anyone think using a simple airstone dropped into the water in the drainage layer (or false bottom) would be beneficial?
I am just trying to think of a simple way of creating movement so the water does not stagnate.
Other suggestions??
Dale

0.3 Felise Catus
0.1 Homo Sapien Ballandchainus
Actually, I would not use an air-stone. Use clay aggregate pellets in your false bottom zone at least 2" deep. It is light and will harbor anaerobic bacteria which will naturally keep your water from fouling. I would have a barrier btw the ABG type soil and clay pellets. I use egg crate and screen. I have been doing this for several years and it works great.

You can buy clay aggregate at Hydroponics stores or some pet stores under zoomed label (although zoomed brand is more $).
Scott - North Dallas
I was actually talking about putting the airstone in the water that is in the LECA
Dale

0.3 Felise Catus
0.1 Homo Sapien Ballandchainus
In my experience, I do not need any mechanical water movement. I regularly perform smell tests and get no odor when using leca. When not using leca. I get an odor. Other key is to create that barrier so your leaf litter and ABG soil are not constantly wet. As you spray and get drainage, the tannins from the leaves help keep water acidic which seems to help. Some of my tanks have bare root plants that tap into the false bottom area, this is yet another natural means to help keep water from fouling. Hope that helps.
Scott - North Dallas
The false bottom water may LOOK 'dirty' because it has brown tannins and some soil particulate, but rest assured it will not be smelly or 'bad'. There is always an 'earthy' smell to a vivarium and that is natural in a well constructed enclosure.

I've had 4-5 year old vivs with an inch or so of 'brown water' in the false bottom and no smell or problem whatsoever.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020