Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Are Thumbnail Dart Frogs hard to care for ?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Thumbnail Dart Frogs hard to care for ?
I read somewhere, that smaller species of dart frogs are not recommended for beginners. Are these smaller darts called thumbnails ?

I have also read that they are hard to care for because their food needs to be small, but couldn't they just eat regular fruit flies ?

Are imitators thumbails? I really would like a pair of imitators, but if they are that hard to care for, maybe I should leave them to the experts, or at least people with more knowledge.

Thanks,
Brock
Brock,
IMO an imitator is an OK frog for someone who is knowledgeable and attentive. In other words if you have done you READING first and believe that you have covered all the areas of care and tank set up and then plant a nice tank with lots of places to hid and if you believe that you will be very attentive to feeding and regular care then I think you will be fine. I have not found that many issues with Imitators that are a problem if environment and food supplies are good.
dmatychuk Wrote:Brock,
IMO an imitator is an OK frog for someone who is knowledgeable and attentive. In other words if you have done you READING first and believe that you have covered all the areas of care and tank set up and then plant a nice tank with lots of places to hid and if you believe that you will be very attentive to feeding and regular care then I think you will be fine. I have not found that many issues with Imitators that are a problem if environment and food supplies are good.
I agree...
My first PDF's were Imitator...back when you had to wait for them Confusedhock: .
Read as much as you can on them, get a little experience making fly cultures, make sure you're tank is escape proof, humid enough, with temps around room temp, and you'll be good to go.
Welcome to the addiction...er I meant hobby!
Brian T. Sexton
Lol.
I too started out w/ imitators, i still consider myself a newbie, raised out 2 from tads about 5mo. ago, puchased 3more juvies soon after , they need your attention at first, till you get to know what they need, then they can just be watched for behavior and viewing pleasure, and yes darts are addictive, my dart info resource told me in the begining that i would have 6 tanks in 6mo., he was dead on, i have 4 diff. darts in 6 tanks. listen when people tell you to start and establish ffly supply early. good luck !
P.S. Imi's are great frogs to start with as far as thumbs go.

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020