Dart Den

Full Version: Ok to use bannana leaves in a viv?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Howdy first post. Is it ok to use bannana leaves in a viv? sliced up they look great I think.
sure....why not, but they will degrade more rapidly than the best leaves the hobby currently uses - Magnolia.
Philsuma Wrote:sure....why not, but they will degrade more rapidly than the best leaves the hobby currently uses - Magnolia.
Ty for the responce. They are off my tree that I had to trim anyway, I figured why not but wanted to be sure.
LePlat Wrote:
Philsuma Wrote:sure....why not, but they will degrade more rapidly than the best leaves the hobby currently uses - Magnolia.
Ty for the responce. They are off my tree that I had to trim anyway, I figured why not but wanted to be sure.

I think that's great to try. Does not get much more natural than that. Where do you have this tree in PA?
If you are over-burdened and would like to send some my way , I'll gladly play guinea pig, as long as it's not been sprayed.

On the "best" leaf topic. I don't think there is a best leaf litter. Just different rates of decomposition. Phil is right on Magnolia lasting the longest, of the leaves now used here. But I like all different rates of decomposition. Which is why I use Magnolia , Oak, and Maple, which go from 'toughest' to fastest to break down.
I keep it inside. Its a dwarf bannana tree. It has a pup growing off it, i need to seperate. Once I have both running im sure leaves wont be an issue.
RichFrye Wrote:
LePlat Wrote:

I think that's great to try. Does not get much more natural than that. Where do you have this tree in PA?
If you are over-burdened and would like to send some my way , I'll gladly play guinea pig, as long as it's not been sprayed.

On the "best" leaf topic. I don't think there is a best leaf litter. Just different rates of decomposition. Phil is right on Magnolia lasting the longest, of the leaves now used here. But I like all different rates of decomposition. Which is why I use Magnolia , Oak, and Maple, which go from 'toughest' to fastest to break down.