Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ok to use bannana leaves in a viv?
Howdy first post. Is it ok to use bannana leaves in a viv? sliced up they look great I think.
sure....why not, but they will degrade more rapidly than the best leaves the hobby currently uses - Magnolia.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Philsuma Wrote:sure....why not, but they will degrade more rapidly than the best leaves the hobby currently uses - Magnolia.
Ty for the responce. They are off my tree that I had to trim anyway, I figured why not but wanted to be sure.
LePlat Wrote:
Philsuma Wrote:sure....why not, but they will degrade more rapidly than the best leaves the hobby currently uses - Magnolia.
Ty for the responce. They are off my tree that I had to trim anyway, I figured why not but wanted to be sure.

I think that's great to try. Does not get much more natural than that. Where do you have this tree in PA?
If you are over-burdened and would like to send some my way , I'll gladly play guinea pig, as long as it's not been sprayed.

On the "best" leaf topic. I don't think there is a best leaf litter. Just different rates of decomposition. Phil is right on Magnolia lasting the longest, of the leaves now used here. But I like all different rates of decomposition. Which is why I use Magnolia , Oak, and Maple, which go from 'toughest' to fastest to break down.
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
I keep it inside. Its a dwarf bannana tree. It has a pup growing off it, i need to seperate. Once I have both running im sure leaves wont be an issue.
RichFrye Wrote:
LePlat Wrote:

I think that's great to try. Does not get much more natural than that. Where do you have this tree in PA?
If you are over-burdened and would like to send some my way , I'll gladly play guinea pig, as long as it's not been sprayed.

On the "best" leaf topic. I don't think there is a best leaf litter. Just different rates of decomposition. Phil is right on Magnolia lasting the longest, of the leaves now used here. But I like all different rates of decomposition. Which is why I use Magnolia , Oak, and Maple, which go from 'toughest' to fastest to break down.

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020